• Create Account

learning from scratch

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
3 replies to this topic

#1 fusan   Members   -  Reputation: 106

0Likes

Posted 11 November 2012 - 07:07 AM

I am a Bsc.it graduate.I have basic knowledge of programming .M currently brushing on my C++ skills.I need some1 to guide me through..
1.what exacly should i start with ?so that i wont waste mch time .
2.wht knowledge should I hav to start with and wht tools do i need to learn
3.language preferred:C++ and Java

Keep in mind :everything from beginning ...no shortcuts

Sponsor:

#2 Álvaro   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 12365

3Likes

Posted 11 November 2012 - 07:39 AM

I am a Bsc.it graduate.I have basic knowledge of programming .M currently brushing on my C++ skills.I need some1 to guide me through..
1.what exacly should i start with ?so that i wont waste mch time .

I would start with proper spelling and punctuation. I am not trying to be an ass: Attention to detail and being clear are really important for a programmer. For instance, I don't know if you have basic knowledge in programming in some obscure language called ".M", or if you misplaced the space (it should go after the period) and then abbreviated "I'm" further into "M".

2.wht knowledge should I hav to start with and wht tools do i need to learn

You can start by doing, without any prior knowledge at all. You can pick up whatever knowledge as you go. As for tools, you only need a compiler and a text editor. Windows people tend to install Visual C++ (there are some free editions), but I prefer to use g++ and emacs on Linux.

3.language preferred:C++ and Java

How did you narrow it down to those two? I would stay away from managed languages (Java, C#) until you have some understanding of how things work at the low level. I actually recommend starting with C for people that are serious about becoming programmers. But my advice doesn't seem to be popular.

#3 fusan   Members   -  Reputation: 106

0Likes

Posted 15 November 2012 - 02:40 AM

sorry i'll keep that in mind... so you mean I dont need to learn any tools to program a game...could you let me know how exactly the game works and what eactly happens in the back scene...what files are included and what is make files and cmake files,terminals,etc?...thnx

#4 LennyLen   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3531

0Likes

Posted 15 November 2012 - 03:26 AM

so you mean I dont need to learn any tools to program a game

As Álvaro has already stated, the only two things you absolutely need are an editor to write your code, and a compiler to convert it to something useful. There are other tools available to programmers, such as IDEs, to make things easier and improve productivity, but in my opinion, it's best to start with the basics and understand what you are doing from a root level first.

could you let me know how exactly the game works and what eactly happens in the back scene..

You're going to have to be more specific, as the only thing that all games have in common is taking input from the user, processing all the data, and then doing some output. In that respect, games are the same as pretty much any program.

what files are included and what is make files and cmake files,terminals,etc?

The files required to make a game again vary, but there will be the code itself (.cpp and .h file for C++), any assets the game needs (ie graphics and sounds). Maybe some scripts if the game is advanced enough. Again, this is a very vague question, so it's hard to give you a specific answer.

As for cmake - its a tool for building makefiles. For large projects, you will usually have multiple source files, which means you don't want to have to manually compile them individually and then manually link them together. This is where makefiles come in. A makefile is a set of rules that specifies how the program will be built from it's sources. Using cmake allows people to 'easily' create multiple makefiles for different platforms and configurations, without having to write the makefiles themselves. It also makes generating makefiles easier if the project is added to at a later point.

A terminal is just a command line interface for passing commands to your computer. If you are familiar with Windows, its built-in terminal is cmd.exe

Edited by LennyLen, 15 November 2012 - 03:28 AM.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS