• Create Account

What do you think of this?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
41 replies to this topic

#21 ThisIsAUsername   Members   -  Reputation: 102

0Likes

Posted 11 November 2012 - 06:38 PM

My idea on the end game events was that the player finds themselves in a situation where running or failing to kill the creature before it can escape is no longer an option, either they are trapped somewhere and the creature comes for them, or guards or bounty hunter of some kind have captured them, and their last chance to prove their innocence is to provide the world with a body, be it the creatures, or someone else that looks enough like you to shift the blame to. As for the ending, it would change based on just how much damage the creature did, if you chose to struggle in the wild, the creature never got a chance to enter a village, and your bounty may be limited to disturbing the peace or questioning in the deaths of numerous thieves and bandits. On the other hand, if you never stopped using the easier less dangerous villages as a haven, you could be accused of mass murder, possibly cannibalism. Such crimes would be much harder to escape with your life.

Sponsor:

#22 ThisIsAUsername   Members   -  Reputation: 102

0Likes

Posted 11 November 2012 - 06:39 PM

Believe it or not, there have been stories of the Slender back in those times, tales of a tall man with long arms that stalked people.

really? did it go by another name, or that the time the story was written wasn't older just the setting of it?

#23 dtg108   Members   -  Reputation: 394

0Likes

Posted 11 November 2012 - 06:43 PM

really? did it go by another name, or that the time the story was written wasn't older just the setting of it?

After the slenderman myth began popping up in modern-day times, people started seeing myths from thousands of years ago. They saw stories from those days of a man called "the tall man" who was tall, had several arms, had a white face, and several tentacles. Just like today's story.

#24 ThisIsAUsername   Members   -  Reputation: 102

0Likes

Posted 11 November 2012 - 06:52 PM

They saw stories from those days of a man called "the tall man" who was tall, had several arms, had a white face, and several tentacles. Just like today's story.

except for the multiple arms and white face, he almost sounds like a Cthulhu prototype. How far back are you talking about, I mean we talking before or after the discovery of america?

#25 dtg108   Members   -  Reputation: 394

0Likes

Posted 11 November 2012 - 06:59 PM

They dated all the way back to the late 1300s, early 1400s. I would love to see a slender game with a story.

#26 dtg108   Members   -  Reputation: 394

0Likes

Posted 11 November 2012 - 07:05 PM

So yea, before America.

#27 ThisIsAUsername   Members   -  Reputation: 102

0Likes

Posted 11 November 2012 - 07:05 PM

They dated all the way back to the late 1300s, early 1400s. I would love to see a slender game with a story.

1300s? wow, not sure I know where exactly that is at in regards to advances in society and cultures chronologically, what cultures where telling these stories?

#28 ThisIsAUsername   Members   -  Reputation: 102

0Likes

Posted 11 November 2012 - 07:10 PM

I mean, 1300 a.d. that's gotta be at least during the crusades, definantly before the Chinese discovered how to weaponize black powder....Rome had fallen by then....interesting.

#29 dtg108   Members   -  Reputation: 394

0Likes

Posted 11 November 2012 - 07:15 PM

The culture was actually Germany.

#30 ThisIsAUsername   Members   -  Reputation: 102

0Likes

Posted 11 November 2012 - 07:27 PM

The culture was actually Germany.

figures Egyptian, Greek, Native American, and Norse mythology you hear about, Chinese less so. German mythology seems non existent by comparison. I only know of a few myths that are originally German.

#31 dtg108   Members   -  Reputation: 394

0Likes

Posted 11 November 2012 - 07:34 PM

I only know of a few myths that are originally German.

Yea, that's one of the only ones I know, too. Man, this thread has become a history lesson.

#32 ThisIsAUsername   Members   -  Reputation: 102

0Likes

Posted 11 November 2012 - 07:37 PM

Man, this thread has become a history lesson.

I came to have a work in progress reviewed, I left with greater understanding of the German boogeyman. hah....behold, the power of the internet.

#33 dtg108   Members   -  Reputation: 394

0Likes

Posted 11 November 2012 - 07:40 PM

I came to have a work in progress reviewed, I left with greater understanding of the German boogeyman. hah....behold, the power of the internet.

And I learned that medieval games with monsters do work!

#34 Aluthreney   Members   -  Reputation: 256

0Likes

Posted 12 November 2012 - 06:29 AM

I like the concept of the story, but there is something that doesn't seem correct.

If I understand correctly, the player character has a large, invisible monster stalking him and wherever the he goes the monster follows and wreaths havoc on the innocent. The player will be able to choose either exile or risk the lives of the innocent in order to live within society.

With this information in mind, what I don't understand is what is the purpose of the monster? If the monster's purpose is to kill and destroy and the player chooses exile, then why does the monster keep stalking the player if it's going to prevent it from killing and destroying?

One idea that came to mind was to either create some sort of "bond" between the monster YOU created and the player (In this context the word "bond" doesn't necessarily pertain to a romance or friendship) or you can look at various spirits/creatures/monsters in the history of lore/mythology and choose one that best suits your needs, as suggested by dtg108.

For me, the first creature that came to mind was the doppelgänger, also known as our evil twin Posted Image

Hope this helps

Aluthreney -- the King of sheep.

#35 AChillyDog   Members   -  Reputation: 105

0Likes

Posted 25 November 2012 - 06:51 AM

Believe it or not, there have been stories of the Slender back in those times, tales of a tall man with long arms that stalked people.

Are you talking about Der GroBmann?

#36 dtg108   Members   -  Reputation: 394

0Likes

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:19 PM

That's the one!

#37 dtg108   Members   -  Reputation: 394

0Likes

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:21 PM

That's the one!

#38 Ashaman73   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 6735

0Likes

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:01 AM

That's the one!

I'm german and I never heard about this myth, lol. That's the funny thing about the internet. There was Carl Großmann, a serial killer, while Groß=tall and Mann=man, therefore maybe tall man. The funny things about myth is, that once a thought is started, other will pick it up and credit new features to it.

The german bogeyman is Der schwarze Mann (the black man, this refers not to the skin color, more to a man in the dark shadows etc.).

Edited by Ashaman73, 27 November 2012 - 02:02 AM.

#39 dtg108   Members   -  Reputation: 394

0Likes

Posted 01 December 2012 - 07:38 AM

Groß=tall and Mann=man

Exactly, Slenderman was tall.

#40 ManuelMarino   Members   -  Reputation: 153

0Likes

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:24 AM

it's a very cool story idea, and yes, it's unique for a videogame, anyway.

Could be interesting to create this alternate version: the monster comes from the future, multiple parallel worlds, time riddles and so on.
Electronic, Hard House, Film Music

88 preview tracks to listen to online + artist forums

And my projects Vanethian, and X-tivity Factor

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS