• Create Account

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
No replies to this topic

#1 thewhiteaussie   Members   -  Reputation: 157

0Likes

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:10 PM

Hello. I have a question regarding clipping a polygon against a view frustum.

For simplicity, consider the case of clipping a triangle to a rectangle. The Sutherland-Hodgman algorithm achieves this by clipping the triangle to each side of the rectangle successively. A new polygon must be created and stored after each clipping phase, to be sent on to be clipped against the next edge of the rectangle.

My question is this: can we take advantage of the recursive nature of the algorithm to avoid storing these (four) temporary polygons? Once a vertex has been clipped to one side, can we send it straight to the next clipping phase? Below is the logic I have developed thus far. It processes each line of the triangle separately by clipping against the boundaries in the following order:

[source lang="cpp"] Top -> Bottom -> Left -> Right -> Output[/source]

Points that pass the final clipping phase (Right) are added to the output polygon.

It is currently incorrect. It cannot 'wrap' a triangle around a corner of the rectangle. I think I'm on the right track though. I would love some feedback Posted Image

Here are the functions in pseudocode:
[source lang="cpp"]//Clip polygon master function. The clipping rectangle has previously been defined.void ClipPolygon(point p0, point p1, point p2){ ClipToTop(p0, p1); ClipToTop(p1, p2); ClipToTop(p2, p0);}//--------------------------------------------------------------------------------// Clip to top//--------------------------------------------------------------------------------ClipToTop(point previous, point current){ if (/*previous and current are both inside*/) { ClipToBottom(previous,current); return; } if (/*previous inside and current outside*/) { //find intersection: 'intersect' ClipToBottom(previous,intersect); return; } //If both outside: do nothing if (/*previous outside and current inside*/) { //find intersection: 'intersect' ClipToBottom(previous,intersect); ClipToBottom(intersect,current); return; }}//--------------------------------------------------------------------------------// Clip to bottom//--------------------------------------------------------------------------------ClipToBottom(point previous, point current){ if (/*previous and current are both inside*/) { ClipToLeft(previous,current); return; } if (/*previous inside and current outside*/) { //find intersection: 'intersect' ClipToLeft(previous,intersect); return; } //If both outside: do nothing if (/*previous outside and current inside*/) { //find intersection: 'intersect' ClipToLeft(previous,intersect); ClipToLeft(intersect,current); return; }}//--------------------------------------------------------------------------------// Clip to left//--------------------------------------------------------------------------------ClipToLeft(point previous, point current){ if (/*previous and current are both inside*/) { ClipToRight(previous,current); return; } if (/*previous inside and current outside*/) { //find intersection: 'intersect' ClipToRight(previous,intersect); return; } //If both outside: do nothing if (/*previous outside and current inside*/) { //find intersection: 'intersect' ClipToRight(previous,intersect); ClipToRight(intersect,current); return; }}//--------------------------------------------------------------------------------// Clip to Right//--------------------------------------------------------------------------------ClipToRight(point previous, point current){ if (/*previous and current are both inside*/) { //Add current to output polygon } if (/*previous inside and current outside*/) { //find intersection: 'intersect' //Add intersect to output polygon } //If both outside: do nothing if (/*previous outside and current inside*/) { //find intersection: 'intersect' //Add intersect to output polygon //Add current to output polygon }}[/source]

Sponsor:

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS