• Create Account

Problem with Billboarding Instanced Particles

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

#1 FromShadow   Members   -  Reputation: 145

0Likes

Posted 13 November 2012 - 02:18 PM

Hello,

I am having a hard time billboarding my particles. I am following this tutorial:
http://xnauk-randomc...utorial-vi.html

The instancing is not a problem and works. I understand the formulas for billboarding given in the link, but when I implement them, the particles disappear. The difference in my implementation is that I represent the particles by a position only, while the tutorial uses world matrices.

Here is the relevant shader code:

[source lang="cpp"]struct InstanceData{ float4 Position : TEXCOORD1; float4 Velocity : TEXCOORD2; float4 Acceleration : TEXCOORD3; float T0 : FOG0; float T1 : FOG1;};struct VSInput{ float4 Position : POSITION0; float2 TextureCoordinate : TEXCOORD0;};struct VSOutput{ float4 Position : POSITION0; float2 TextureCoordinate : TEXCOORD0; float Alpha : FOG0;};VSOutput InstancingVS(VSInput input, InstanceData instance){ VSOutput output = (VSOutput)0; // Calculate the particle's position float dt = T - instance.T0; input.Position += instance.Position; input.Position += dt * instance.Velocity; input.Position += 0.5 * dt * dt * instance.Acceleration; // start using float3 because we need cross products float3 center = mul(input.Position, World); // looks fishy since input.Position is float4, but it works in the tutorial float3 eyeVector = center - CameraPosition; float3 pos = center; float3 sideVector; float3 upVector; sideVector = normalize(cross(eyeVector, (float3)(0, 1, 0))); upVector = normalize(cross(sideVector, eyeVector)); // Billboarding offset pos += (input.TextureCoordinate.x - 0.5) * sideVector; pos += (0.5 - input.TextureCoordinate.y) * upVector; // pack into float4 float4 pos4 = (float4)(pos, 1); pos4 = mul(pos4, View); pos4 = mul(pos4, Projection); output.Position = pos4; output.TextureCoordinate = input.TextureCoordinate; output.Alpha = (instance.T1 - T) / (instance.T1 - instance.T0); return output;}float4 InstancingPS(VSOutput input) : COLOR0{ float4 color = tex2D(TextureSampler, input.TextureCoordinate); color.a = color.a * input.Alpha; return color;}[/source]

Now, I suspect there is something wrong with float3/float4 mixture. For example, If I change line 50 to

[source lang="cpp"]float4 pos4 = input.Position;[/source]

the particles are drawn correctly, but without billboarding, which is expected. However, if I try

[source lang="cpp"]float4 pos4 = (float4)(input.Position.xyz, 1);[/source]

which I assumed to do basically the same thing, I see nothing.
Can somebody explain this? I don't see the difference between the these two lines (except for the w-compenent, which shouldn't matter, should it?). I have been fiddling with those conversions for two days now and I am very much lost.

Appreciating any help.

Edited by FromShadow, 13 November 2012 - 02:24 PM.

Sponsor:

#2 kauna   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2509

0Likes

Posted 13 November 2012 - 03:03 PM

How about :

float4 pos4 = float4(input.Position.xyz, 1); //just to verify that it isn't question of syntax.

the w-component needs to 1 for the projection matrix multiplication to work correctly. If the w component is 0 then the result will be 0 too which isn't good.

By the standard, if your position is defined as 3-component vector from the program side and float4 in the shader side, the 4th component is automatically given value of 1.0.

float3 center = mul(input.Position, World); // There is nothing fishy here. The input.Position is multiplied by the 4x4 world matrix which doesn't affect the w-component typically. The cast of float4 to float3 works as intended ie. the xyz components are copied.

Cheers!

Edited by kauna, 14 November 2012 - 06:50 AM.

#3 FromShadow   Members   -  Reputation: 145

0Likes

Posted 13 November 2012 - 03:21 PM

Feeling like a total scrub now. Your correction works.
The particles are visible now and do turn (arround some wrong axis, though).
I think I can safely work from here. ^^

Thanks a lot, and sorry for this stupidity.

Edit:
Here is the new shader with a workarround using the View matrix for the billdboard orientation.
This way I don't need to use float3 at all.

[source lang="cpp"]VSOutput ParticleVS(VSInput input, InstanceData instance){ VSOutput output = (VSOutput)0;float lifeTimeFactor = (instance.T1 - T) / (instance.T1 - instance.T0);input.Position *= instance.Size * lifeTimeFactor;// transform to Screenspacefloat4x4 transform = transpose(View);transform[3] = 0;input.Position = mul(input.Position, transform); // Calculate the particle's position float dt = T - instance.T0; input.Position += instance.Position; input.Position += dt * instance.Velocity; input.Position += 0.5 * dt * dt * instance.Acceleration; float4 pos4 = mul(input.Position, World); pos4.w = 1; pos4 = mul(pos4, View); pos4 = mul(pos4, Projection); output.Position = pos4; output.TextureCoordinate = input.TextureCoordinate; output.Alpha = lifeTimeFactor; return output;}[/source]

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS