• Create Account

How should I tackle programming

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
14 replies to this topic

#1 Ryan Schurton   Members   -  Reputation: 176

0Likes

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:06 AM

Hey everyone I've been studying programming for about 3-4months now and I am not finding myself having a hard time learning this. I really want to learn how to make video games I don't see myself being happy doing anything other than that. Art is out of the question my art skills suck. Anyone got any tips that can really help me out videos or books that can help me look at programming in another way to really understand.

I understand the concepts of programming. Loops statements, classes, fields, methods, arrays, if-statements. Logical operators. I have a hard time putting everything together to make a functional program.

Sponsor:

#2 SimonForsman   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 6305

5Likes

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:44 AM

Practice makes perfect, 3-4 months is no time at all.
Just take small steps, try to do this:

1) Make an application that displays a rectangle on the screen.
2) Make an application that displays a rectangle on the screen and allows the user to move the rectangle using the arrow keys.
3) Congratulations, you got the basics of a game going, continue to add functionality and you'll have pong, breakout, or something.
I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

#3 ISDCaptain01   Members   -  Reputation: 1443

6Likes

Posted 15 November 2012 - 02:27 AM

3-4 months is nothing imo. You still got a good chunk of whaever language ur learning to go before u get the basics down. Ive been programming for 8 motnhs now, 7 of them were learning the basics of the language (classes, ojects, inheritance, polymorphism, templates, etc etc). I just got the basics of SDL down and im doing data structures right now along side with it. Just keep at it, youve got to be persistant and not give up.

#4 kuramayoko10   Members   -  Reputation: 386

4Likes

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:22 AM

I have a hard time putting everything together to make a functional program.

Ha, that is what makes someone a good developer, and that every good developer is aiming. Posted Image

On programming, reading a book about a language and its structures is easy and does not make you a programmer yet. To assemble all this knowledge in something functional is the tricky part.

So, prepare yourself to practice a lot. Create a lot of simple programs about every single topic you find: pointers, memory management, data structures (lists, stacks, trees...), classes, modifiers, etc.
Then you can start assembling this stuff together.

Still, you won't have mastered any of those fields. You will have to learn how to assemble them in a way that is not harmful for your computer: does not leak resources, does not crash, etc.

There is a movie featuring Jackie Chan and Jet Lee where JC says to his apprentice "You have to empty your cup first".
Programming is like that: when you think you mastered something (you filled your cup), you have to empty it because there is much more to learn Posted Image

Edited by kuramayoko10, 15 November 2012 - 10:24 AM.

Programming is an art. Game programming is a masterpiece!

#5 BaneTrapper   Members   -  Reputation: 1246

-9Likes

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:27 AM

Bullshit...
In 3-4 months and good determination a person can learn shitload of stuff.
I learned most of advanced c++, basic java, SDL API, sfml API in time of 6 months.
To top that all i started about 100 projects finished about 30.
And cream on top, I work 10 hours a day 20 days in month...

The reason of my success is " I just love writing/reading code! ",

I am not finding myself having a hard time learning this.
And
Art is out of the question my art skills suck

That is what you really need, programing to not be dull process.

Art... Well as you stated you want to be a programmer not a artist. Download free art, give credit to artist and use it in your game... simple!

EDIT: If your don't feel confident enough to jump to a API and use it.
Try making you self a goal to make something somebody could actually use or,
A calculator that handles "Adding" in console.
then add "Subtracting"...
The point is to train how to make stuff. You will stumble on "difficulties/how to make that" and solving problems is important in programing.
After you done that, try thinking of a way to improve the code you made to make it more efficient.

Hope it helps.

Edited by BaneTrapper, 15 November 2012 - 10:36 AM.

Current projects:
The Wanderer, 2d turn based rpg style game

www.gamedev.net/topic/641117-check-up-the-wanderer/

#6 Khaiy   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1342

2Likes

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:27 PM

You remind me a bit of myself when I first started learning about computer programming. That makes me think that you might be subject to one of the biggest mistakes that I made as well: programming, for a beginner, has a lot less to do with understanding things that you can find in books and internet tutorials than you may think.

At its core, computer programming is about solving problems, and that isn't something that you will develop by trying to memorize the minutia of your chosen language and design approaches without trying to apply your knowledge. I would suggest that you start working on some (very) small projects now, using what you've already learned. That will help you to cement your skills and suggest things that you can learn more about.

As you find problems that you don't already know how to solve, you can experiment or do some research on possible approaches. When you've solved the problem you'll have improved your skills and seen how programming works in practice for that situation.

I like simon's suggestions, and I would also recommend something like a text-based game interface or, if you'd like a challenge, a graphical menu interface using a library like SDL or SFML. Those projects will be very educational and will also give you some code that you can use to build a game later on.

#7 Khatharr   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3039

1Likes

Posted 15 November 2012 - 03:08 PM

Bullshit...

Why don't you take it down a notch?
void hurrrrrrrr() {__asm sub [ebp+4],5;}

There are ten kinds of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't.

#8 SimonForsman   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 6305

4Likes

Posted 15 November 2012 - 03:21 PM

Bullshit...
In 3-4 months and good determination a person can learn shitload of stuff.
I learned most of advanced c++, basic java, SDL API, sfml API in time of 6 months.
To top that all i started about 100 projects finished about 30.
And cream on top, I work 10 hours a day 20 days in month...

The reason of my success is " I just love writing/reading code! ",

I am not finding myself having a hard time learning this.
And
Art is out of the question my art skills suck

That is what you really need, programing to not be dull process.

Art... Well as you stated you want to be a programmer not a artist. Download free art, give credit to artist and use it in your game... simple!

EDIT: If your don't feel confident enough to jump to a API and use it.
Try making you self a goal to make something somebody could actually use or,
A calculator that handles "Adding" in console.
then add "Subtracting"...
The point is to train how to make stuff. You will stumble on "difficulties/how to make that" and solving problems is important in programing.
After you done that, try thinking of a way to improve the code you made to make it more efficient.

Hope it helps.

I've been programming for 18 years, i'd say 3-4 months is pretty much nothing(at uni i had people who couldn't grasp things properly after 4 years), people learn at different paces and spend different amount of time learning (Lots of people have more than one thing that occupies their time when they're not working / going to school)

Edited by SimonForsman, 15 November 2012 - 03:26 PM.

I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

#9 RedBaron5   Members   -  Reputation: 581

0Likes

Posted 15 November 2012 - 04:17 PM

I would try to create a game without graphics. The first game I made was a card game (all text). Once I had all of the logic for the game, I made it using graphics. I think card games are a good place to start as they have a distinct set of rules. (Card A beats card B, etc)

#10 3Ddreamer   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3165

0Likes

Posted 15 November 2012 - 11:25 PM

I really want to learn how to make video games I don't see myself being happy doing anything other than that.

Well, Ryan, you can do only things which make you happy if you want, but let us compare programming to other challenging things:

An athlete wants to only be happy doing a sport, so no practice, no drills, no weight lifting, and definately no scrimmage for you! Posted Image

A student wants to only be happy at school, so no homework, no lectures, no computer time, no library study, and also no tutoring for you! Posted Image

A spouse wants to only be happy in a marriage, so no chores, no going to work, no paying the bills, and certainly no asking the better half for any favors! Posted Image

Get my point?

Start with console games like Tic-Tac-Toe, crossword puzzles, mazes, and so forth. Decide that you are going to learn how to enjoy each stage of your learning, which really is a choice.

Trust me, I know from experience: Satisfaction is to be had in every phase of growth and makes it easier emotionally and intellectually - you learn better.

Looking long term, complex games will require personal maturity as well as other things, make no mistake about it - no way around it, so I urge you to rise to the challenge.

Clinton

Personal life and your private thoughts always effect your career. Research is the intellectual backbone of game development and the first order. Version Control is crucial for full management of applications and software.  The better the workflow pipeline, then the greater the potential output for a quality game.  Completing projects is the last but finest order.

by Clinton, 3Ddreamer

#11 AlexB.hpp   Members   -  Reputation: 201

3Likes

Posted 17 November 2012 - 01:54 AM

To protect the TS! I'd spend on C++ about 3.5 years and still learning it.
GameDev programming is just another branch in programming. So you should learn it as another one. And if you start learning it on 1st year of learning the language, then you will more skilled in it on 2nd, 3rd year.

I wish to TS a good luck and be patient.

PS You do need a challenges to learn anything. There is no other way.

Edited by AlexB.hpp, 17 November 2012 - 01:58 AM.

C x 2 C x o C x C f nice C x C s C x C c

#12 Anri   Members   -  Reputation: 597

0Likes

Posted 17 November 2012 - 06:30 AM

3-4 months...hmmm.

Okay, its good you have stuck with programming long enough to know you enjoy it. However, there are two main ingredients required to become a confident programmer: Knowledge of your language and software development.

As you have discovered for yourself, its not too difficult to learn your chosen language, or at least well enough to write some "Hello, World" programs. You've taken care of that part and now its a case of looking up in reference books. However, your programs will grow in size and so its going to become quite challenging to keep a project under control and in a focused direction. Also, as you learn different languages, you start to realise its not so much the language you need to worry about learning, but good programming practices. Software development is something you apply to almost all languages.

Its like your language is your hammer and nails. You know you bang nails into wood using your hammer. Software development, on the other hand, is your plans for how you arrange your wood into a frame. Once you have your plans drawn up and your wood levelled into the right positions, then you can start banging nails into the wood with the hammer. LOL, I suppose the nails would your code and libraries, but lets keep it simple for now... ^_^

#13 Ryan Schurton   Members   -  Reputation: 176

1Likes

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:31 PM

I have no plans on giving up. Making games is what i want to do and making games is what i will do. I am just getting frustrated at school seeing other people understanding programming better then me feels disheartening.

I guess it just a part of life and how my brain is wired. Going to have to put in a lot more work then the average person.I didn't do to well on my mid-term but thanks for the confidence boost guys. I know i wont be happy doing anything else in life then making games.

#14 superman3275   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2061

1Likes

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:30 PM

I'm going to stress something I did, and that really helped me:

Get a large, well written (Easy and amusing to read), reference book.

1) Read it all the way through. Don't use the examples, don't code anything. Read the whole thing without coding.
2) Re-Read it, this time coding all the examples, doing all the practice questions, etc.
3) Start making programs in the console you think are cool. Any-time you have a problem consult your book.

This should take 3-4 months if you are really focusing (Reading the book in detail, doing ALL the examples, and writing your own console-code for at least a month.)

Then, pick a Graphics API and download the documentation.

1) Read the documentation. Remember this: Use every chapter / new thing to do something with it that wasn't in the tutorial.
2) Make knock-offs of classic game, consulting the documentation constantly. The reason you make knockoffs is so that you focus on learning programming rather than learning game design.
3) Embark on your own project! Also, remember to pre-visualize! Here's some articles I wrote to help you along the way:

Pre-Visualization is Important!
Stop the Catch-Alls!
Instant Gratification (And Why It's Important)!

Have fun!

I'm a game programmer and computer science ninja ph34r.png!

Here's my 2D RPG-Ish Platformer Programmed in Python + Pygame, with a Custom Level Editor and Rendering System!

Here's my Custom IDE / Debugger Programmed in Pure Python and Designed from the Ground Up for Programming Education!

Want to ask about Python, Flask, wxPython, Pygame, C++, HTML5, CSS3, Javascript, jQuery, C++, Vimscript, SFML 1.6 / 2.0, or anything else? Recruiting for a game development team and need a passionate programmer? Just want to talk about programming? Email me here:

hobohm.business@gmail.com

or Personal-Message me on here smile.png!

#15 3Ddreamer   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3165

0Likes

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:13 PM

I have no plans on giving up. Making games is what i want to do and making games is what i will do. I am just getting frustrated at school seeing other people understanding programming better then me feels disheartening.

I guess it just a part of life and how my brain is wired. Going to have to put in a lot more work then the average person.I didn't do to well on my mid-term but thanks for the confidence boost guys. I know i wont be happy doing anything else in life then making games.

Ryan,

The tenacity is exciting to me! Posted Image You will reach at least some respectable level of success from such determination.

Let me share with you a secret which is largely unknown, forgotten, or unappreciated. Formal education with all its advantages is no indicator of your future success. I know that some academic people will condemn me for making such a statement, but history has proven it millions of times.

Albert Einstein, Eric Hartmann, Hans-Ulrich Rudel, some of the greatest in their various fields, and many a successful achiever such as musicians had nearly or completely washed from formal training or performed very lack luster early. As a matter of fact, approximately 1 of 4 billionaires were failures in classes, for example as high school or college drop-outs!

By all means, finish your education! However do not be discouraged because it is training and not the future determiner that many claim it to be. Don't let all that testing and comparing to other students be a judgement on you. Instead see it as a series of stepping stones to possible high achievment later in life when you are free to create your own research and development of games.

Your tenacity is more important than the classes. The reality of you being in school is enough proof of your future programming skills. Some people don't do too well in school because of being more complex and not because of being stupid. Your ordinary looking school performance just might actually be a sign of greatness, as many great ones have demonstrated throughout history. In time you will fulfill your control of the course of your life if you remain tenacious.

Clinton

Personal life and your private thoughts always effect your career. Research is the intellectual backbone of game development and the first order. Version Control is crucial for full management of applications and software.  The better the workflow pipeline, then the greater the potential output for a quality game.  Completing projects is the last but finest order.

by Clinton, 3Ddreamer

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS