• Create Account

Interested in a FREE copy of HTML5 game maker Construct 2?

We'll be giving away three Personal Edition licences in next Tuesday's GDNet Direct email newsletter!

Sign up from the right-hand sidebar on our homepage and read Tuesday's newsletter for details!

We're also offering banner ads on our site from just $5! 1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

UML modeling engines available?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
6 replies to this topic

#1 GuyWithBeard   Members   -  Reputation: 866

1Likes

Posted 15 November 2012 - 05:24 AM

Hi,

I am thinking of writing a small custom state machine modeling tool for my game engine. Right now I am using an open source UML tool to generate scripts that my engine can read, but it's farily buggy and I have a few ideas that would fit nicely into the tool.

However, building everything from scratch would be quite the task. I am wondering if there are any UML-like "modeling engines" available, preferably for C# but other languages are cool too. Something that would allow me to create things like states, transitions and properties for them, as well as render them on the screen. I have not heard of something like this, but as there are CAD-components that can just be dropped onto a winform and used to open and draw CAD-files, I thought I would ask before doing it all myself.

Thanks!

Sponsor:

#2 Ashaman73   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 7793

0Likes

Posted 15 November 2012 - 05:59 AM

Right now I am using an open source UML tool

Well, isn't that your answer ?
Nevertheless, you can although take a look at the eclipse modelling framework (not IDE), it is java and should have some advanced components which supports diagrams.

#3 GuyWithBeard   Members   -  Reputation: 866

0Likes

Posted 15 November 2012 - 06:18 AM

I thought about modifying the existing tool. However, there are a few problems:

1. It's very old and build with out-of-date frameworks.
2. It's quite buggy, and I have no interest in spending time fixing those.
3. It has a load of features that I don't need.

I would much rather build a minimal modeling tool right now, one that I could add features to as needed without having to worry about old stuff getting broken etc.

I have thought about the tools in Eclipse and Netbeans as well, but those are also very heavy weight, and I only have use for simple flow chart/FSM modeling.

Thanks anyway!

#4 Eliad Moshe   Members   -  Reputation: 812

0Likes

Posted 17 November 2012 - 07:15 AM

Check out the following project:
0. Fizzim.

Edited by Eliad Moshe, 17 November 2012 - 07:42 AM.

#5 GuyWithBeard   Members   -  Reputation: 866

0Likes

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:07 AM

Thanks. That seems handy but I am really looking for components and not full products. There is also the State Machine Compiler at http://smc.sourceforge.net/ which I have used in the past.

#6 Eliad Moshe   Members   -  Reputation: 812

0Likes

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:00 AM

Just for inspiration...
I want to build such by myself. I will write it as a win32 custom control (Crafting a VLSI cad tool...).

#7 Shannon Barber   Moderators   -  Reputation: 1383

0Likes

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:04 AM

Check out Enterprise Architect.
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS