• Create Account

Separating bitmap color channels?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
No replies to this topic

#1 Klankster   Members   -  Reputation: 103

0Likes

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:48 PM

Using OpenGL ES 1.x, I have some bitmapped graphics that really only need one 8-bit color channel (256 levels) and I want to be able to draw them to the display in any color I want. For example, right now they're RGB images colored white, and I draw them with a color mask to get them on ths display in the appropriate color -- mostly I use this for text.

Having these loaded into 3-channel (RGB) 24-bit bitmaps is very wasteful -- it uses 3x the memory it really needs to. Is there a way to load these in as single-channel bitmaps (1 byte per pixel) and then when they're drawn, have them use the desired color?

Alternatively, is there a way to use, say, just the red channel out of a source bitmap and then draw it to the screen in any desired color? My thought here is that I could get triple-duty out of a loaded bitmap, with separate 8-bit images loaded into each of the R, G and B channels -- and then when I want to use those bitmaps, I'd just use one of the channels as a source then draw it in the desired color. Again, this would save memory because three of these 8-bit bitmaps would fit into a 24-bit loaded bitmap. Is there a way to pull this off? Some of these bitmaps are pretty large and use a lot of memory and I'd like to reduce the memory footprint.

I hope this makes sense to you, and I'd appreciate some tips or suggestions. Thanks!

Sponsor:

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS