• Create Account

Which engine to use ?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
5 replies to this topic

#1 studio99   Members   -  Reputation: 117

1Likes

Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:27 PM

Hello,

I am looking for an engine that will enable to do the following:

- basic games (like tic-tac-toe , chess, ... )
- either offline or online play
- either single or multiplayer if online
- 2d graphics (nothing 3d)

thanks for your suggestions

Sponsor:

#2 joew   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3162

0Likes

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:41 PM

You don't need an engine for any of those games at all, you could just build the games without having to worry. When you start getting into 2d graphics you could just use something like SFML.

#3 vladmihail   Members   -  Reputation: 305

4Likes

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:45 PM

If you are going to make easy games you dont need any engines.You can pick up an library and start playing around with it :)

#4 Sugavanas   Members   -  Reputation: 152

-3Likes

Posted 17 November 2012 - 10:04 PM

If you ask me you can use Unity, It is a 3d game engine but sill you can do 2d games in that I have one video collection on how to make 2d games in unity, i can give it to you if you want it, other than that if you still don't want 3d game engine, then you can program games yourself with any programming languages, i have made a shuffle game when i started programming, i can give you the download link for he game if you want it too. But my advice i use a 3d engine to do your 2d game so it looks more nice.

I am 14 and made 1 year in game developing..xD

was learning c++ to make games with OpenGL and also rigging. :-]

currently scripting and android project in Unity alone with 3 modellers  :D

join : https://www.facebook.com/groups/FutureGameDevelopers to be a game developer.

#5 bakshadow   Members   -  Reputation: 149

1Likes

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:01 PM

What if one was to make an extensive 2d game, would you recommend an engine for that? Like if I were to make a bullet hell space shooter game.

#6 Yrjö P.   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1410

2Likes

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:26 PM

I would use SFML:
http://www.sfml-dev.org/

You can also consider Allegro, SDL and Clanlib. Out of these I have only used SFML, and it was a pleasant experience (~2 years ago). For a bullet hell shooter, a more extensive engine than these four would not really help you.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS