• Create Account

Interested in a FREE copy of HTML5 game maker Construct 2?

We'll be giving away three Personal Edition licences in next Tuesday's GDNet Direct email newsletter!

Sign up from the right-hand sidebar on our homepage and read Tuesday's newsletter for details!

We're also offering banner ads on our site from just $5! 1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

How can you tell the heuristic value using Manhattan method when using Convex search space?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
4 replies to this topic

#1 lucky6969b   Members   -  Reputation: 624

0Likes

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:14 PM

It it hard to tell how x and y spans across the distance between the agent's current position and the destination?
Any ideas?
Thanks
Jack

Sponsor:

#2 IADaveMark   Moderators   -  Reputation: 2509

0Likes

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:43 PM

Perhaps a better-worded question is in order?
Dave Mark - President and Lead Designer of Intrinsic Algorithm LLC

Professional consultant on game AI, mathematical modeling, simulation modeling
Co-advisor of the GDC AI Summit
Co-founder of the AI Game Programmers Guild
Author of the book, Behavioral Mathematics for Game AI

Blogs I write:
IA News - What's happening at IA | IA on AI - AI news and notes | Post-Play'em - Observations on AI of games I play

"Reducing the world to mathematical equations!"

#3 lucky6969b   Members   -  Reputation: 624

0Likes

Posted 17 November 2012 - 12:12 AM

I mean it is hard to tell the x-y distance between the current position and the desintation.
If you use Manhattan Heuristic, there is no such thing as 2 squares apart in the x-axis and 2 squares apart in the y-axis as the shapes are all irregular.

Thanks
Jack

Edited by lucky6969b, 17 November 2012 - 12:21 AM.

#4 C0lumbo   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2345

0Likes

Posted 17 November 2012 - 02:56 AM

So if I understand correctly, you're trying to use the manhattan heuristic, but you're finding it difficult, because your A* graph is not a regular 2D grid? Is that the problem you're facing?

If so, then you simply cannot use the manhattan heuristic. I suggest you use straight line distance instead, (the Euclidean Distance described in this link http://theory.stanford.edu/~amitp/GameProgramming/Heuristics.html)

#5 lucky6969b   Members   -  Reputation: 624

0Likes

Posted 17 November 2012 - 03:32 AM

Yes, you guess it right. That's what I am talking about.
thanks
Jack

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS