• Create Account

Steam Overlay Infested With Ads - Any Ideas Of Problem ?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
9 replies to this topic

#1 Shippou   Members   -  Reputation: 1471

Posted 17 November 2012 - 12:37 PM

I have ran scans on fully updated Spybot Search & Destroy, AVG, and Avast, and non of them have come up with anything.

Every time I run the Steam application, ads keep popping up on the bottom left of the screen. This is the built in Steam application, NOT my internet browser ( which does not have this problem ).

The Steam community is useless on solving this issue, and Google turns up nothing useful on the subject. As far as I can tell, there are no processes attached to this bug. Any idea on what it is, and how to get rid of it?

[mod edit: removing NSFW image host --rip-off]

Edited by rip-off, 17 November 2012 - 07:10 PM.

Reactions To Technologies:
1. Anything that is in the world when you’re born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.
2. Anything that's invented between when you’re fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.
3. Anything invented after you're thirty-five is against the natural order of things.

- Douglas Adams 2002

Sponsor:

#2 TheChubu   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4060

Posted 17 November 2012 - 06:15 PM

No idea how to solve it but that last add made me lol

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

#3 Cornstalks   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 6974

Posted 17 November 2012 - 07:03 PM

But it's not a joke!

Warning to visitors: Screenshot 3 is NSFW (not safe for work)

Have you tried reinstalling Steam?
[ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]

#4 rip-off   Moderators   -  Reputation: 8107

Posted 17 November 2012 - 07:06 PM

Almost certainly malware. Me, I would try using something like Process Explorer to investigate further, having exhausted Google.

#5 Servant of the Lord   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 18440

Posted 17 November 2012 - 07:10 PM

Weird. Posted Image

Not that I can be of much help, but just out of curiosity:
  • Do you get this when running Steam, or when running the Steam overlay (Shift+Tab from within a game), or with both?
  • Do you get the same results when visiting http://store.steampowered.com/ ?
  • Have you tried erasing the Steam html cache? (I'm not sure where it would be located).
  • Have you tried uninstalling/reinstalling Steam? (but be careful not to erase your saved game files and downloaded games)

It's perfectly fine to abbreviate my username to 'Servant' rather than copy+pasting it all the time.
All glory be to the Man at the right hand... On David's throne the King will reign, and the Government will rest upon His shoulders. All the earth will see the salvation of God.
Of Stranger Flames - [indie turn-based rpg set in a para-historical French colony] | Indie RPG development journal

[Fly with me on Twitter] [Google+] [My broken website]

[Need web hosting? I personally like A Small Orange]

#6 rip-off   Moderators   -  Reputation: 8107

Posted 17 November 2012 - 07:11 PM

Warning to visitors: Screenshot 3 is NSFW (not safe for work)

All the images seem to be accompanied by NSFW ads, which "postimage" is apparently known for. I've removed them for the moment.

#7 Hodgman   Moderators   -  Reputation: 29248

Posted 17 November 2012 - 07:28 PM

Steam makes use of Internet Explorer internally, so it looks like your IE / windows browser components are infected with a virus.

Time to reformat... Posted Image

NOT my internet browser ( which does not have this problem ).

Is your browser IE? If not, check if IE also has this problem.

#8 Shippou   Members   -  Reputation: 1471

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:58 AM

My default browser is Firefox. As far as active processes, nothing looks out of the ordinary.

When I have more time, I'll have to track each one down.

Here is the screen shots again - this time directly linked to skip the inappropriate ads PostImage puts on them.
Posted Image

1. Anything that is in the world when you’re born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.
2. Anything that's invented between when you’re fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.
3. Anything invented after you're thirty-five is against the natural order of things.

- Douglas Adams 2002

#9 Shippou   Members   -  Reputation: 1471

Posted 18 November 2012 - 01:58 PM

Here is the Java Script that displays the ads. Still no clue what injects it into the pages.
Posted Image

- Douglas Adams 2002

#10 kuramayoko10   Members   -  Reputation: 386

Posted 18 November 2012 - 04:25 PM

This is really weird.
Searching through google I did not find anything like this.

Even with you saying that the Steam Community didn't solve your problem, it is worthy to create a support ticket and warn them about the problem.
I think it is more related to IE as Hodgman posted. Try doing more tests searching the web using IE (entering the steam store online, etc.) and see if the ads pop-up.
Programming is an art. Game programming is a masterpiece!

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS