• Create Account

Wiring a micro usb power cable

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
1 reply to this topic

#1 3DModelerMan   Members   -  Reputation: 974

Posted 17 November 2012 - 01:06 PM

I'm trying to build myself a network attached storage system using the rasberry pi. I'm planning to use an external drive for storage and the pi as the server. But I want to power everything from one DC jack that I'm going to get from RadioShack. I'm going to use a DC to DC converter to step down the 12v for powering the pi. Now the problem I have is how I should wire the micro USB cable. I looked at the Micro UsSB schematics and it shows only a +5v pin. There's no -5v how does that complete a circuit if I only run a wire into the pi and not have one coming back out?

Sponsor:

#2 benryves   GDNet+   -  Reputation: 1992

Posted 17 November 2012 - 01:33 PM

USB has VCC (+5V) and GND (0V) pins; they are usually red and black respectively but cheap cables can ignore the standards so I'd recommend double checking the connector with a continuity tester before soldering anything. (Note that if it was +5V and -5V the device would be receiving 10V, not 5V - voltage is otherwise known as "potential difference" as it's a measurement of the difference in electrical potential between two points).

The Raspberry Pi is very sensitive to insufficient power and consumes a fair amount of current so make sure it's getting enough power from the power supply by measuring the voltage across TP1 and TP2 - it should be above 4.8V. You may need to add a powered USB hub to your arrangement to reduce the load on the Raspberry Pi.
[Website] [+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++]

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS