• Create Account

Quick stupid question: name of score only items in games?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
7 replies to this topic

#1 Icebone1000   Members   -  Reputation: 969

Posted 17 November 2012 - 01:13 PM

Theres any name for score only items, like sonic rings or mario coins? Like there are "power up" items, how do I refer to score items? Any know name convention? I cant remember anything right now..

Sponsor:

#2 shuma-gorath   Members   -  Reputation: 882

Posted 17 November 2012 - 02:08 PM

If think about it, though, rings and coins are technically power-ups because they increase your lives.

Looking through some old game manuals I found on replacementdocs.com, truly score-only constantly appear under a section called "Items."

Here's the manual for "Nights in Dreams." (PDF) Notice star chips, rings, and power loop on page 8.
Here's the manual for "Aero the Acrobat." Notice food items on page 12.

Edited by shuma-gorath, 17 November 2012 - 02:12 PM.

#3 Icebone1000   Members   -  Reputation: 969

Posted 17 November 2012 - 02:58 PM

If think about it, though, rings and coins are technically power-ups because they increase your lives.

Looking through some old game manuals I found on replacementdocs.com, truly score-only constantly appear under a section called "Items."

Here's the manual for "Nights in Dreams." (PDF) Notice star chips, rings, and power loop on page 8.
Here's the manual for "Aero the Acrobat." Notice food items on page 12.

service temporary unavailable for all links, how lucky

- nevermind, got it -

nice website

Edited by Icebone1000, 17 November 2012 - 03:04 PM.

#4 shuma-gorath   Members   -  Reputation: 882

Posted 17 November 2012 - 04:09 PM

Yeah, I was wondering if it was my connection that was messing up, but good to know it's the site. (Well, not really. Posted Image ) It was harder to find manuals than I thought. That was the best site I could find.

Edited by shuma-gorath, 17 November 2012 - 04:14 PM.

#5 zedz   Members   -  Reputation: 291

Posted 17 November 2012 - 04:34 PM

I always have difficulties with things like this, words

perhaps?
earners

#6 Magdev   Members   -  Reputation: 197

Posted 17 November 2012 - 06:54 PM

Collectibles?

#7 Servant of the Lord   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 16680

Posted 17 November 2012 - 07:25 PM

I wouldn't call them 'items' (since they aren't explicitly used). Nor would they be 'powerups' (since they don't give you lives if score-only, and even if they did give you a life, even 1-ups I wouldn't call powerups because they don't up your power).

The problem with 'collectibles' is that the name implies (but doesn't have to) variety of *different* objects you collect.
I can't find much on a casual glance at TV Tropes: Law of 100 (collectibles that give lives), Follow the Money (exactly what we are discussing, but no name is given), Gotta Catch Them All (different/varied collectibles).

I vote for just calling them "pick ups".

It's perfectly fine to abbreviate my username to 'Servant' rather than copy+pasting it all the time.

[Fly with me on Twitter] [Google+] [My broken website]

All glory be to the Man at the right hand... On David's throne the King will reign, and the Government will rest upon His shoulders. All the earth will see the salvation of God.                                                                                                                                                       [Need free cloud storage? I personally like DropBox]

Of Stranger Flames - [indie turn-based rpg set in a para-historical French colony] | Indie RPG development journal

#8 Gavin Williams   Members   -  Reputation: 638

Posted 17 November 2012 - 10:33 PM

pickups or tokens

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS