• Create Account

(nvcompress-quick) Update of NVidia Texture Tools

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
No replies to this topic

#1 Mozulyov Dmitry   Members   -  Reputation: 103

0Likes

Posted 17 November 2012 - 02:13 PM

Hello
Sorry for my bad English, please

nvcompress-quick is an update of well-known utility nvcompress (which is a part of NVidia Texture Tools), created as an alternative of CUDA- decision for popular texture formats: BC1(DXT1) and BC3(DXT5). A compressing speed is much higher than in original nvcompress. This speed is being achieved by using a CrystalDXT library as a driver of compression. In addition, textures, made by CrystalDXT, are a little bit more qualitive – it has to do with a colour and especially an alpha channel. There’s also an utility DxtComparer in archive, that you can use to compare *.dds-files. Deflection factor is the same as in Squish/NVTT - square root of the sum of squared differences.

Command-line options are supplemented with 2 settings:
"-nocrystal" – don’t use CrystalDXT as a compress driver
"-datamode" – don’t use an alpha channel as a colour’s weight

CrystalDXT is my author’s library, made for a work with textures of DXT1/DXT5 formats. nvcompress-quick uses only a part of library, which is responsible for compression. I won’t open its sources, but I can tell the following: the compressing code was based by Squish/NVTT. A speed increase was made by a rigorous code optimization. A texture quality is higher through better precision. By the way, CrystalDXT will be working with the acceptable speed even on those machines, which don’t sustain SSE.

Utility sources are opened – you may download them and modify for your features.
http://code.google.c.../downloads/list

Sponsor:

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS