• Create Account

Interested in a FREE copy of HTML5 game maker Construct 2?

We'll be giving away three Personal Edition licences in next Tuesday's GDNet Direct email newsletter!

Sign up from the right-hand sidebar on our homepage and read Tuesday's newsletter for details!

Best OpenGL books for beginners (C++)

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
5 replies to this topic

#1 v0rtexza   Members   -  Reputation: 125

1Likes

Posted 18 November 2012 - 07:35 AM

Hey all,
I am interested as to what your takes are on what books to get for OpenGL programming?

I want to buy a couple books so that I can learn 3D Game Programming with OpenGL in C++ however I am not sure as to what to get. I don't so much want a big reference book as much as I want a book that offers some direction in its text in terms of actual game programming and does not just act as a reference for experienced users. I have been looking at Beginning OpenGL Game Programming, second edition and was thinking that a second book I could buy would be More OpenGL Game Programming?
The one query I have for anyone that has read More OpenGL Game Programming. Its publication date is 2006 whilst Beginning OpenGL Game Programming's publication date is 2009, will its information still be relevant?

What do you all think about what book to get?

Thanks,
v0rtexza

Sponsor:

#2 AlexB.hpp   Members   -  Reputation: 201

1Likes

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:37 AM

About dates - it's ok. OpenGL don't changes too fast. Anyway this 2 books awesome starting point in OpenGL learning. I've read first one.

Look at this one - OpenGL SuperBible. It's brilliant. I'm reading it now and I like it so much.
C x 2 C x o C x C f nice C x C s C x C c

#3 TheChubu   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4540

2Likes

Posted 18 November 2012 - 12:59 PM

You could try this one first: http://www.arcsynthesis.org/gltut/ It teaches OpenGL 3.3 in C++, but more importantly, the guys knows a lot so there you'll find more than just OpenGL API like all kinds of math and the history of OpenGL.

Point is, give it a shot before spending lots of money on a bunch of books. After arcsynthesis you can go for more specialized books (say, game programming oriented, or some specific field that you like, lighting, physics, etc).

Aaaand I know this is a cheap tactic but... John Carmack said it was a good tutorial for learning OpenGL :D

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

#4 lride   Members   -  Reputation: 633

3Likes

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:44 PM

Look at this one - OpenGL SuperBible. It's brilliant. I'm reading it now and I like it so much.

Be careful about this book. This book teaches OpenGL wrapper library, not the actual OpenGL itself.
I'm waiting for this book to come out in next February

Edited by lride, 18 November 2012 - 08:49 PM.

An invisible text.

#5 v0rtexza   Members   -  Reputation: 125

0Likes

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:40 AM

I purchased beginning opengl game programming, second edition and am reading the arcsynthesis online book while I wait for my book to arrive. The beginning opengl game programming book looks like it leaves a lot out which is understandable, what would be a good follow up book? I was thinking of more opengl game programming? Any other ideas is awesome. Thanks all!

Edited by v0rtexza, 19 November 2012 - 01:41 AM.

#6 Karsten_   Members   -  Reputation: 1632

2Likes

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:24 AM

I agree with Iride, the OpenGL Programming Guide is a really good choice. It is very tempting for authors to teach using a wrapper library especially now that immediate mode is deprecated. Now they need to teach two generally complex techniques such as shaders and VBOs to just get something displaying on the screen which can be overwhelming for beginners. Luckily the OpenGL Programming guide resists the temptation.

http://openglbook.com/ Is a very good (though unfortunately incomplete) web book for beginners.

Mutiny - Open-source C++ Unity re-implementation.
Defile of Eden 2 - FreeBSD and OpenBSD binaries of our latest game.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS