• Create Account

what's wrong with this code?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
1 reply to this topic

#1 Fractal   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 15 October 2001 - 11:29 AM

int Num; int Player; while(true) { printf ("\nWhat class of wizard do you want to be?\n" "1 : Fire\n" "2 : Water\n" "Press 1, 2, only - or face the consequences.\n"); scanf ("%d", &Num); if (Num == 1) {Player = 1; break;} else if (Num == 2) {Player = 2; break;} else if (Num == 3) {Player = 3; break;} else if (Num == 4) {Player = 4; break;} else if (Num == 5) {Player = 5; break;} else {printf ("\nThat''s not a valid entry, please\n" "try again\n");} } Please could you help me out here! If I type 1 or 2, it works fine. If I type a different number, it tells me to try again. But if I typr in a letter, not a number, then it crashes. Help!

Sponsor:

#2 easlern   Members   -  Reputation: 134

Posted 15 October 2001 - 11:42 AM

You''ve just experienced first-hand one of the main downfalls of the scanf() function- if you input the wrong type, it crashes. Try using getch() to read a character instead. getch() will wait for the user to press a key then return its char value. Ex:

char myChar;
myChar = getch();
if (myChar == ''1''){ //etc;

This way the user won''t have to even press enter when he''s done. Notice this only works for 1 to 10 (1 to 0 on the keyboard). But you could also do a to z as well, and even A to Z (uppercase letters).

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS