• Create Account

Managing constant buffers without FX interface in Direct3D10

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

#1 Xcrypt   Members   -  Reputation: 154

0Likes

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:58 AM

I am aware that there is a sample on working without FX in the samplebrowser, and I already checked that one. However, some questions arise:

In the sample:

D3DXMATRIXA16 mWorldViewProj;
D3DXMATRIXA16 mWorld;
D3DXMATRIXA16 mView;
D3DXMATRIXA16 mProj;
mWorld = g_World;
mView = g_View;
mProj = g_Projection;
mWorldViewProj = mWorld * mView * mProj;
VS_CONSTANT_BUFFER* pConstData;
g_pConstantBuffer10->Map( D3D10_MAP_WRITE_DISCARD, NULL, ( void** )&pConstData );
pConstData->mWorldViewProj = mWorldViewProj;
pConstData->fTime = fBoundedTime;
g_pConstantBuffer10->Unmap();

They are copying their D3DXMATRIX'es to D3DXMATRIXA16. Checked on msdn, these new matrices are 16 byte aligned and optimised for intel pentium 4. So as my first question:

1) Is it necessary to copy matrices to D3DXMATRIXA16 before sending them to the constant buffer? And if no, why don't we just use D3DXMATRIXA16 all the time?

I have another question about managing multiple constant buffers within one shader.
Suppose that, within your shader, you have multiple constant buffers that need to be updated at different times:

cbuffer cbNeverChanges
{
	matrix View;
};
cbuffer cbChangeOnResize
{
	matrix Projection;
};
cbuffer cbChangesEveryFrame
{
	matrix World;
	float4 vMeshColor;
};

Then how would I set these buffers all at different times?
g_pd3dDevice->VSSetConstantBuffers( 0, 1, &g_pConstantBuffer10 );
gives me the possibility to set multiple buffers, but that is within one call.

2) Is that okay even if my constant buffers are updated at different times? And do I suppose I have to make sure the constantbuffers are in the same position in the array as the order they appear in the shader?

Sponsor:

#2 Hodgman   Moderators   -  Reputation: 27883

2Likes

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:43 AM

The 16-byte aligned version of the matrix probably utilizes the SSE2 instruction set (which is what they mean by P4 optimised).
The matrices are converted into this SSE-friendly format before the two matrix multiplications take place -- that's the significance, not the copying into the buffer afterwards.

Many engines that I've worked with do make use of 16-byte aligned vectors, matrices, and even floats, throughout all math-heavy parts of the code, so that SSE (or equivalent) instruction sets can be used in those parts of the code-base.

The ability to set multiple buffers in a single call to *SSetConstantBuffers is just an optimisation for the times when you would call it 3 times in a row. i.e. You can call it many times to bind resources to many different slots, but if you find that you're making multiple calls in a row, then you can instead pass an array to a single call to reduce the number of API calls you have to make.

2) Yes, updating the contents of a buffer is completely separate to binding that buffer to a slot. If you bind it to a slot, then update it, then it's still bound to the slot.
Basically all your call does is store a pointer to your buffer resource into an array, e.g. conceptually--
device.VertexShaderConstantBuffers[slot] = input;//just storing a pointer
// or
for( int i=0; i != NumBuffers; ++i )
  device.VertexShaderConstantBuffers[i+StartSlot] = input[i];

To match up the slots correctly when binding buffers, you've got 2 choices:
a) After you compile your shader, reflect on the binary to find which slots your named cbuffers have ended up in.
b) When writing your shaders, manually specify which slot a cbuffer is designated with the register keyword
cbuffer MyData : register(b7) // "MyData" buffer should be bound to slot #7
{
};

Edited by Hodgman, 20 November 2012 - 05:47 AM.

#3 Xcrypt   Members   -  Reputation: 154

0Likes

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:48 AM

Thanks, cleared up all my questions :)

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS