• Create Account

complex scenes

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

#1 NiteLordz   Members   -  Reputation: 382

0Likes

Posted 23 November 2012 - 02:08 PM

I was wondering if there are any free complex scenes for testing out my engine. I am not a skilled Modeler. I have downloaded and used sponza atrium... and now want to up it a notch.

I have one in a sample but its in sdkmesh and I'd prefer not to have to write an importer (currently I use assumption to convert my assets to my custom format).

Thanks for any help
Code makes the man

Sponsor:

#2 Bacterius   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 8495

0Likes

Posted 23 November 2012 - 04:41 PM

Check out the San Miguel scene, it has almost eight million triangles. If that's not a complex scene, I don't know what is. You can find it on this page, along with other nice models (for instance, if San Miguel is too much, you can use Crytek's remake of Sponza, which has a more manageable ~262k triangles, or the famous conference room scene with 331k triangles).

They are all in .obj format with all textures and materials attached, I believe, so parsing shouldn't be a problem.

The slowsort algorithm is a perfect illustration of the multiply and surrender paradigm, which is perhaps the single most important paradigm in the development of reluctant algorithms. The basic multiply and surrender strategy consists in replacing the problem at hand by two or more subproblems, each slightly simpler than the original, and continue multiplying subproblems and subsubproblems recursively in this fashion as long as possible. At some point the subproblems will all become so simple that their solution can no longer be postponed, and we will have to surrender. Experience shows that, in most cases, by the time this point is reached the total work will be substantially higher than what could have been wasted by a more direct approach.

- Pessimal Algorithms and Simplexity Analysis

#3 NiteLordz   Members   -  Reputation: 382

0Likes

Posted 23 November 2012 - 05:34 PM

Thanks much, this helps a lot!
Code makes the man

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS