• Create Account

We're offering banner ads on our site from just $5!

1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

Problem with oci library

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

#1 Alkan   Members   -  Reputation: 183

0Likes

Posted 24 November 2012 - 07:27 PM

Hello

At work i had to make a small application in C++ on Windows (using Visual Studio 2008). This application uses Oracle OCI library to communicate with Oracle server. I'm using the 10.2 version of the client library. When i run the application from my development environment (from VC) or on my Desktop, it works just fine. However, as soon as we install the application using an installshield it can't connect to the server. After searching the error message, it appears it is not able to find the service name. But the client is configured correctly and the tnsname.ora file is fine. The application is compiled in 32 bits mode because it uses a 3rd party library which is only available for 32 bits. It probably has nothing to do anyway. It seems to be doing that only on Windows 7 and not on Xp. Haven't tried Vista or others.

P.S.

I know that may not be the best place to ask such a question but i think there may be people who would know.

Edited by Alkan, 24 November 2012 - 07:49 PM.

Sponsor:

#2 Laval B   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 5290

4Likes

Posted 25 November 2012 - 05:28 AM

Does your installshield place the executable file in Program File (x86) ? If so, this is likely to be your problem. When OCI is loaded, it gets the current directory and composes all the paths to find other files it needs like <oracle_home>/network/admin where your tnsname.ora is. Unfortunatly, oci libraries before version 11 have a bug with string having parenthesis and can't compose their internal paths right in that case. The solution is either install your application in another directory or use version 11.2 of the library.

Edited by Laval B, 25 November 2012 - 09:23 AM.

We think in generalities, but we live in details.

Alfred North Whitehead

#3 Alkan   Members   -  Reputation: 183

0Likes

Posted 25 November 2012 - 08:46 AM

Well, that solved the problem. I would never have figured it out by myself. Thanks alot !

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS