• Create Account

We're offering banner ads on our site from just $5!

1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

What Next?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
6 replies to this topic

#1 Oracular   Members   -  Reputation: 109

0Likes

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:04 PM

So, I've always wanted to make computer games. Not just simple games, either, but the kind that people might actually end up playing (which I am yet to accomplish). I've started off with small projects, and I've made two games with XNA in C# (a checkers clone with added missile functionality, both singleplayer and multiplayer, and a 2d side scroller with some basic projectiles and enemies and levels), and I know a good amount of C++. I've looked into engines, and whether it is best to make my own or use someone else's. I'm not necessarily looking to jump straight into the world of professional 3D game development, but rather a stepping stone that can further what I am doing toward the goal I have. Where do I go next?

Sponsor:

#2 jbadams   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 19318

0Likes

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:10 AM

Can you more precisely describe your goal? What sort of games do you actually want to make?

Your next step should be moving towards the game you want to make. That might mean familiarising yourself with an appropriate engine before beginning your project, or it might mean making a simpler game of the same type using lower-level technology choices.

Unless there isn't a suitable engine available I would strongly suggest choosing one -- with the goal of making high-quality games it really wouldn't make much sense to spend your time recreating the work of others rather than actually working on your game.

#3 Steve_Segreto   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1551

1Likes

Posted 26 November 2012 - 01:39 AM

I suggest you start by tinkering around and making some artwork and other game assets. Either make them, borrow them or synthesize them procedurally, but that should give you a good idea of the engine tech you'll need for your game.

#4 Oracular   Members   -  Reputation: 109

0Likes

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:23 PM

jbadams, are there any engines you can recommend in particular? There are a ton out there with many different features and many different prices. Is there a free one you can point me toward, with enough features to make a basic game? I'm not looking for anything crazy, yet at the same time I'm not really looking toward making anything at the bare minimum.

#5 dtg108   Members   -  Reputation: 394

0Likes

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:35 PM

Oracular, check out Unity 3D, it is great, free, and fairly easy to make a great 3D game if you know SOME programming. Plus, it has a great base of fans that will answer ANY questions, plus tutorials.

#6 jbadams   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 19318

1Likes

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:29 AM

jbadams, are there any engines you can recommend in particular?

Different engines are more or less suitable for different types of games. What sort of game do you want to make?

#7 3Ddreamer   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3160

0Likes

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:12 PM

Hi,

This list will help much, but there are many game engines and component engines such as physics or graphics engines not on this list, so do your due deligence in research.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_game_engines

GameDevDotNet has a lot of information posted in recent weeks about this general area with "spot on" useful things.Posted Image

Take a look at things like SDL, MonoDevelop/Mono, SharpDX, and others.

Clinton

Personal life and your private thoughts always effect your career. Research is the intellectual backbone of game development and the first order. Version Control is crucial for full management of applications and software.  The better the workflow pipeline, then the greater the potential output for a quality game.  Completing projects is the last but finest order.

by Clinton, 3Ddreamer

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS