• Create Account

Nothing happens when I run the application compiled with Visual C++

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
4 replies to this topic

#1 ill   Members   -  Reputation: 320

0Likes

Posted 26 November 2012 - 02:06 PM

So I have a nice and complex project set up in visual studio and everything is great. Only I noticed just now that when I try to run my built application from just Windows Explorer instead of from within visual studio nothing happens. No process shows up in the task manager.

I did some googling and most problems seem to be from missing dlls and people get error messages popping up.

For me though it's on the same PC that I built it on and ran it on from within MSVS. I'm getting no info as to why the application isn't running.

My only ideas are that I configured something in the project properties incorrectly.

Edited by ill, 26 November 2012 - 02:07 PM.

Sponsor:

#2 fastcall22   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4255

0Likes

Posted 26 November 2012 - 02:18 PM

By default, the working directory of a project when run inside the IDE is the project directory ("$(ProjectDir)"); outside of the IDE, it is the directory containing the executable ("$(TargetDir)"). Double-check your program for safe handling of "missing" resources and other errors (print an error message, write to a file, and etc).

The working directory for the project in Visual Studio can be set under "General->Debugging" in the project properties. (Be sure to set it for all of your project configurations, otherwise you'll get a nasty surprise when you try to deploy your project!)

Edited by fastcall22, 26 November 2012 - 02:19 PM.

c3RhdGljIGNoYXIgeW91cl9tb21bMVVMTCA8PCA2NF07CnNwcmludGYoeW91cl9tb20sICJpcyBmYXQiKTs=

#3 ill   Members   -  Reputation: 320

0Likes

Posted 26 November 2012 - 02:29 PM

Oh yeah that must be it. My application was logging errors to a text file and I should have checked it. My assets directory wasn't pointed to correctly and I probably need to change the working directory.

Normally I throw an exception. It's just weird that windows wasn't telling me an error occured when the exception went uncaught. So annoying.

#4 SiCrane   Moderators   -  Reputation: 9565

2Likes

Posted 26 November 2012 - 02:31 PM

You may be running into one of the situations when even crashing doesn't work.

#5 MarkS   Prime Members   -  Reputation: 882

0Likes

Posted 26 November 2012 - 05:16 PM

You may be running into one of the situations when even crashing doesn't work.

Wow!Posted Image Posted Image Thanks for posting that! I never would have guessed it was possible.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS