• Create Account

I'd love some feedback on my software website and my projects!

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

#1 mikenovemberoscar   Members   -  Reputation: 215

Posted 27 November 2012 - 03:45 PM

Hi guys, I have recently created a website to hold all of my software projects.

I'd love any critique or comments from gamedev.net!

http://www.sites.google.com/site/michaelssoftwaresite

Thanks.

Sponsor:

#2 jbadams   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 18537

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:58 PM

The layout is pretty simple and features your content heavily without any distracting elements, which is great!

A few notes:
  • Your heading is an image, but it's actually just some relatively simple text. You should just use text rather than the image; it's better for search engines and screen-readers (used by the vision impaired), and it will likely decrease your file-size (and therefore loading time) and page rendering time slightly.
  • You shouldn't customise the scrollbar; all this does it make it (granted, only slightly) harder to recognise and use, and is generally considered bad practice. People are used to seeing and using the standard scroll-bar.
  • For me, your choice of font isn't very clear. It almost looks like a print-out where the printer is running out of ink. Choose a font that is clear and easy to read. Given the low information density of your pages I would probably increase the font size (therefore promoting readability) as well.
  • I'd add a brief about page with a little information about you, or you might even simply include a short by-line at the bottom of the homepage.
  • I wouldn't bother with the obfuscation of your email address personally, preferring plain text or even a clickable mailto link instead. This is your spam filter's job. My gmail address is plainly available all over the internet, but the spam filtering is good enough that I haven't seen any spam in my inbox for years. Alternatively if you're not comfortable, use a simple "contact" form instead.

Hope that helps! Posted Image

#3 LennyLen   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3780

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:19 AM

There is a rendering error using FF.

screenshot1.png

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS