• Create Account

FREE SOFTWARE GIVEAWAY

We have 4 x Pro Licences (valued at $59 each) for 2d modular animation software Spriter to give away in this Thursday's GDNet Direct email newsletter.

Read more in this forum topic or make sure you're signed up (from the right-hand sidebar on the homepage) and read Thursday's newsletter to get in the running!

GLSL - Reflection and tube intersection

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
1 reply to this topic

#1 JavierOltra   Members   -  Reputation: 105

0Likes

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:12 AM

Hi all,

I'm trying to port a code from executing in the CPU to the GPU.
It's supposed to render normally if the ray from camera don't collide with a tube after reflecting on a surface. So I'm rendering the surface and looking for intersection of the reflected ray with a tube passed as uniform.
This is my code for vertexshader:
[source lang="cpp"]#version 330 compatibilityout vec3 normal;out vec3 rayDir;out vec3 originalPos;uniform vec3 cameraPos;void main(){ //we need the normal in world space, don't transform normal = normalize(gl_Normal); gl_FrontColor = gl_Color; gl_Position = gl_ModelViewProjectionMatrix * gl_Vertex; //we need the position in world space, don't transform. This will be the origin of the ray originalPos = gl_Vertex.xyz; //obtaining ray from camera vec3 eyeDir = normalize(originalPos - cameraPos); //reflecting the ray to get the new direction after reflection rayDir = normalize(reflect(eyeDir, normal));}[/source]
Code for fragmentshader:
[source lang="cpp"]#version 330 compatibilityfloat Dmnop(vec3 m, vec3 n, vec3 o, vec3 p){ return (m.x - n.x) * (o.x - p.x) + (m.y - n.y) * (o.y - p.y) + (m.z - n.z) * (o.z - p.z);}float d;float d2;vec3 ClosestPointLineLine(vec3 start0, vec3 end0, vec3 start1, vec3 end1){ float d0232 = Dmnop(start0, start1, end1, start1); float d3210 = Dmnop(end1, start1, end0, start0); float d3232 = Dmnop(end1, start1, end1, start1); d = (d0232 * d3210 - Dmnop(start0, start1, end0, start0)*d3232) / (Dmnop(end0, start0, end0, start0) * Dmnop(end1, start1, end1, start1) - Dmnop(end1, start1, end0, start0) * Dmnop(end1, start1, end0, start0)); d2 = (d0232 + d * d3210) / d3232; return start0 + d * (end0 - start0);}vec3 ClosestPointRaySegment(vec3 rayPos, vec3 rayDestination, vec3 a, vec3 b){ ClosestPointLineLine(a, b, rayPos, rayDestination); d = clamp(d, 0.0, 1.0); // This is a line segment - cap both ends. d2 = max(0.0, d2); // The other primitive is a ray - cap negative side. return (b - a) * d + a;}bool IntersectTubo(vec3 rayOrigin, vec3 rayDestination, vec3 tuboA, vec3 tuboB, float tuboRadius){ vec3 pointRay = ClosestPointLineLine(rayOrigin, rayDestination, tuboA, tuboB); vec3 pointTubo = ClosestPointRaySegment(tuboA, tuboB, rayOrigin, rayDestination); return (distance(pointRay, pointTubo) <= tuboRadius);}in vec3 rayDir;in vec3 originalPos;uniform vec3 tubeA;uniform vec3 tubeB;uniform float radius;uniform vec3 lightDir;in vec3 normal;void main(){ if(IntersectTubo(originalPos, originalPos + rayDir, tubeA, tubeB, radius)) { gl_FragColor= vec4(1.0, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0); } else { float diffuse_value = max(abs(dot(normal, lightDir)),0.0); // Set the output color of our current pixel gl_FragColor = gl_Color * diffuse_value; }}[/source]

The math functions are taken from MathGeoLib (http://clb.demon.fi/MathGeoLib).

The idea on rays is taking advantage of the interpolation between vertex and fragment and I must add that model is in world position as well as tube, that's why I don't see any need to transform.

This code is working perfectly in CPU but there's something wrong in my GLSL code that is keeping me from getting a correct representation of the reflection of the tube.

I hope this post is quite self explanatory and I look forward any help you could give me.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsor:

#2 JavierOltra   Members   -  Reputation: 105

0Likes

Posted 29 November 2012 - 06:46 AM

Finally found the problem, this:

[source lang="cpp"]bool IntersectTubo(vec3 rayOrigin, vec3 rayDestination, vec3 tuboA, vec3 tuboB, float tuboRadius){ vec3 pointRay = ClosestPointLineLine(rayOrigin, rayDestination, tuboA, tuboB); vec3 pointTubo = ClosestPointRaySegment(tuboA, tuboB, rayOrigin, rayDestination); return (distance(pointRay, pointTubo) <= tuboRadius);}[/source]

Should be:

[source lang="cpp"]bool IntersectTubo(vec3 rayOrigin, vec3 rayDestination, vec3 tuboA, vec3 tuboB, float tuboRadius){ vec3 pointRay = ClosestPointLineLine(rayOrigin, rayDestination, tuboA, tuboB); vec3 pointTubo = ClosestPointRaySegment(rayOrigin, rayDestination, tuboA, tuboB); return (distance(pointRay, pointTubo) <= tuboRadius);}[/source]

Edited by JavierOltra, 29 November 2012 - 06:47 AM.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS