• Create Account

Interested in a FREE copy of HTML5 game maker Construct 2?

We'll be giving away three Personal Edition licences in next Tuesday's GDNet Direct email newsletter!

Sign up from the right-hand sidebar on our homepage and read Tuesday's newsletter for details!

We're also offering banner ads on our site from just $5! 1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

books to go further in C/C++/Java

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
4 replies to this topic

#1 Nico_gamedev   Members   -  Reputation: 109

0Likes

Posted 29 November 2012 - 04:06 PM

Hi,

I'm an average coder in C/C++/Java, and I would like to improve my coding skills and learn new things.

So do you know good books (or web links?) for C/C++/Java that teach really more than the basic scholar stuff, and instead venture into deeper and efficient coding techniques (code optimizations and tricks, and stuff like that) ?

Thanks!

Edited by Nico_gamedev, 01 December 2012 - 03:47 AM.

Sponsor:

#2 Yrjö P.   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1412

0Likes

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:51 PM

Are you familiar with basics of algorithm analysis and data structures yet? That's prerequisite when going for efficiency; any small scale optimization or language specific trick doesn't save you if the code is bad on a higher level.

I think one relevant book would be "Programming Pearls" by Jon Bentley. Heavy on thinking, but not very heavy on theory (no exotic algorithms, etc.). I have only thumbed it through but am planning to go through it later. It's a thin book, but digesting it properly will require doing a lot of the exercises and that will take a substantial amount of time.

#3 Bubsy   Members   -  Reputation: 407

0Likes

Posted 29 November 2012 - 06:21 PM

Cool that you want to venture into optimization and coding tricks, but don't forget the bigger picture. GoF Design Patterns will teach you how to structure your code better. Sometimes a good architecture will make it easier to optimize your program in the long run.

#4 TheChubu   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4555

0Likes

Posted 29 November 2012 - 06:44 PM

Cool that you want to venture into optimization and coding tricks, but don't forget the bigger picture. GoF Design Patterns will teach you how to structure your code better. Sometimes a good architecture will make it easier to optimize your program in the long run.

This. Learning to apply design patterns is a good step for improving your code. Good designs will help you to avoid redundant code and having to use hackish solutions to get around a bad structure.

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

#5 Nico_gamedev   Members   -  Reputation: 109

0Likes

Posted 01 December 2012 - 03:49 AM

Thank you for your pieces of advice! (and don't hesitate to post other interesting book titles or weblinks). Thanks!

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS