• Create Account

Interested in a FREE copy of HTML5 game maker Construct 2?

We'll be giving away three Personal Edition licences in next Tuesday's GDNet Direct email newsletter!

Sign up from the right-hand sidebar on our homepage and read Tuesday's newsletter for details!

DreamWeaver for HTML5 Game Dev?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
1 reply to this topic

#1 Taylor Ringo   Members   -  Reputation: 176

0Likes

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:32 PM

Hey I want to know if I can use Dreamweaver CS5.5 for HTML5 Web and Mobile Native development? A friend gave me a copy. Also which template and frameworks would I use? Or would any framework do? I just need to know which Template for Desktop Web and mobile also Mobile Native.

Sponsor:

#2 hybrid_ham   Members   -  Reputation: 109

0Likes

Posted 01 December 2012 - 04:58 PM

What you can do with Dreamweaver you can hand code also. What I'm going to type may be controversial but let's go for it.

Because browsers are so different, I think it's worth the time to dig into hand coding. Sure Dreamweaver seems easy but HTML is easy itself, it was meant to be learned by the whole world. Dreamweaver code is usually sloppy, the last time I saw a designer use it, it had lots of extra tags in it and things were named so that you could tell it was made in Dreamweaver. I spent plenty of time cleaning up the code she sent me that Dreamweaver spit out. After I removed all the extra things it added, the formatting she couldn't get right in Dreamweaver I could fix with hand code. Bottom line, if you can't hand code HTML, you aren't even trying and anyone that saw your code would think that about you. My company is not a game development company but a web development company and someone would get laughed out of the building if they expected to use Dreamweaver. Honestly, it's only use is for a designer to pretend to be a developer in our field. If you used it as a stepping stone, ok but relying on a program to write HTML is very lazy.

Dump Dreamweaver and head into the specifications is my opinion. W3C is the group that makes the standards so they are the best source.
http://dev.w3.org/ht...ingle-page.html
Some people also start at w3 schools (not related just a similar name). http://www.w3schools...html5_intro.asp

If you get used to getting your information from W3C on how things "should" work then you will know when something is browser deficient and you need to do a workaround because of the browser instead of blaming the problem on your program or web languages themselves. It takes minutes to write HTML and hours sometimes to make it display the same in all browsers without practice. You might like reading this on the subject http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tag_soup .

Edited by hybrid_ham, 01 December 2012 - 05:28 PM.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS