• Create Account

Contract Work Skill Level?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
3 replies to this topic

#1 superman3275   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2011

0Likes

Posted 30 November 2012 - 11:53 PM

I've been looking into using my programming skills to do some programming work so I can earn some money, and I've come across a few sites where you can make a portfolio and get hired to do work. So, I am looking for some help:

What skill level should I be to join the site and work as a freelancer?

I believe I am skilled enough to work on some smaller C++ jobs for a little bit of experience, not so much the money. What do you believe my skill level should be? And if you've ever used any of these sites (Elance.com, odesk.com) what do you think of them?

I'm a game programmer and computer science ninja ph34r.png!

Here's my 2D RPG-Ish Platformer Programmed in Python + Pygame, with a Custom Level Editor and Rendering System!

Here's my Custom IDE / Debugger Programmed in Pure Python and Designed from the Ground Up for Programming Education!

Want to ask about Python, Flask, wxPython, Pygame, C++, HTML5, CSS3, Javascript, jQuery, C++, Vimscript, SFML 1.6 / 2.0, or anything else? Recruiting for a game development team and need a passionate programmer? Just want to talk about programming? Email me here:

hobohm.business@gmail.com

or Personal-Message me on here smile.png!

Sponsor:

#2 frob   Moderators   -  Reputation: 21315

4Likes

Posted 01 December 2012 - 01:39 AM

Either you can do the job, or you cannot. If you can do the job then you have the requisite skill level. If you aren't certain it is best not to take the risk as a contractor.
Check out my personal indie blog at bryanwagstaff.com.

#3 Steve_Segreto   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1530

4Likes

Posted 01 December 2012 - 02:16 AM

I will caution that in my experience, the contractors are given the harder work, and often wind up doing more coding and implementation than design. Also a lot of places I've worked (as a full-time employee), the contractors were usually brought in to make a particular piece of technology and the full-timers would simply maintain it afterwards.

#4 swiftcoder   Senior Moderators   -  Reputation: 9994

0Likes

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:45 PM

I will caution that in my experience, the contractors are given the harder work

QFE.

Keep in mind that this is particularly true of C++ (as it is for the various rarer, but highly-specialized languages). One can pickup relatively unskilled Ruby, Python or PHP gigs, but C++ projects tend to be more critical to begin with, and contractors are expected to bring a very solid set of skills to the table.

Tristam MacDonald - Software Engineer @Amazon - [swiftcoding]

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS