• Create Account

Rendering to a texture question

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
1 reply to this topic

#1 lomateron   Members   -  Reputation: 300

0Likes

Posted 01 December 2012 - 11:53 AM

Rendering to a texture, just wanting to go through all its texels and change them, is a very common thing to do.
I am doing an application were I need to render 1000 times to the same texture in this way.
I think creating the quad and processing it 1000 times is a big lost of GPU time.
Is there any draw() function that goes directly to pixel shader skipping the vertex shader, because it already knows that i am going through all the texels of the render target?

Edited by lomateron, 01 December 2012 - 11:58 AM.

Sponsor:

#2 MJP   Moderators   -  Reputation: 10117

0Likes

Posted 01 December 2012 - 01:45 PM

I think creating the quad and processing it 1000 times is a big lost of GPU time.

I really doubt it. Shading 4 vertices is nothing, even if you multiply that by 1000. And the triangle setup/rasterization hardware would just be idling if you weren't using it.

Either way, there's no way to skip the vertex shader. If you wantto skip rasterization altogether, you should use a compute shader.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS