• Create Account

Would You Live on Mars?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
144 replies to this topic

#41 Bacterius   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 8348

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:29 PM

There will only be 4 people at first and they will be carefully chosen based on their social dynamics. They will be put together for 3 months at a time in the desert every 2 years and undergo many other group tests for 10 years before ever leaving for Mars. So if they can’t get along they don’t go together.

I am already planning what will be in my application video/letter.
I am quite serious about wanting to go myself, and am about 90% sure I will apply as soon as possible. I look forward even to the training and exercise—it would be nice to get back into shape.

L. Spiro

Good luck Spiro! Sounds like a harsh but cool experience, not for me but I can see why it would be attractive to many people :)

The slowsort algorithm is a perfect illustration of the multiply and surrender paradigm, which is perhaps the single most important paradigm in the development of reluctant algorithms. The basic multiply and surrender strategy consists in replacing the problem at hand by two or more subproblems, each slightly simpler than the original, and continue multiplying subproblems and subsubproblems recursively in this fashion as long as possible. At some point the subproblems will all become so simple that their solution can no longer be postponed, and we will have to surrender. Experience shows that, in most cases, by the time this point is reached the total work will be substantially higher than what could have been wasted by a more direct approach.

- Pessimal Algorithms and Simplexity Analysis

Sponsor:

#42 Cornstalks   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 6974

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:35 PM

There will only be 4 people at first and they will be carefully chosen based on their social dynamics. They will be put together for 3 months at a time in the desert every 2 years and undergo many other group tests for 10 years before ever leaving for Mars. So if they can’t get along they don’t go together.

I am already planning what will be in my application video/letter.
I am quite serious about wanting to go myself, and am about 90% sure I will apply as soon as possible. I look forward even to the training and exercise—it would be nice to get back into shape.

L. Spiro

If you go, you HAVE to make at least one post here at GameDev from Mars. Good luck!
[ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]

#43 kuramayoko10   Members   -  Reputation: 386

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:23 PM

My list of things to accomplish here on Earth is so big I don't have a life span big enough to go to Mars yet.
Even by visiting a lot of countries and places I can't feel that it is ever enough. I want to really explore Earth, every little bit of it, just like an outsider for the first time.

Maybe on a next life I explore Mars Posted Image

EDIT: A MUST have thing in your backpacks will be board games. I know everyone loves them, and by playing it, you guys will have some real fun and will get know each other much better. Check out the TableTop show on youtube. Until 2023 you will have a big list of board/card games. ;)

Edited by kuramayoko10, 03 December 2012 - 08:46 PM.

Programming is an art. Game programming is a masterpiece!

#44 Luckless   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1753

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:52 PM

I could see myself signing up to become a colonist on Mars, if the program backing it was sound.

First requirement that would have to be met would be a sane design to the whole program, with a community of at least 100 people in the first few years settling.

The project should not plan on requiring more than communications support after a year or two at most. Each step of the project should be focused on establishing a self-sufficient colony providing its own needs and a decent surplus of food, water, and energy, as well as creating the resources needed for the next phase of expansion. Why ship stuff from earth when we can make it right there from local materials? (This is the key, if you can't survive locally, then you're not really making a colony, you're merely a research outpost.)

The colonists need to have some control over their internal government, and immigration. Before additional colonists would be accepted, they would need to be cleared with previously settled colonial government. Having some government a hundred million km away tell you what you are doing will not sit well with the majority of humans I believe. Some sense of control must be retained.

But yeah, I would work as a labourer role, miner, mechanic, technician, etc, to help build a whole new world for humans to live in, a whole new society where we can start from scratch locally and address many issues of inequality and poor planning that hinder existing societies that were born long before many of the problems they would face were dreamed of. (Of course, it won't be perfect. It will have flaws, but hopefully we can learn from such.)
Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.

#45 Kridian   Members   -  Reputation: 296

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:24 PM

I'd love to go if it looked like Rivendelle. Or set adrift in a starship for Alpha Centauri B where that super earth is.* We'd have to have kids and watch them grow so they would enjoy the arrival.

*Edit*
Oh good god. It's 4.3 light years (25.6 trillion miles) away. Dreams dashed. Might have to settle on something closer. Ugh.

Edited by Kridian, 03 December 2012 - 11:40 PM.

#46 megabaki   Members   -  Reputation: 126

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:13 PM

Would you take a 1-way trip to Mars?
http://news.yahoo.co...-012824434.html
As for myself, I am ready to go.

I think you should wait until these milestones have been met:

1. First person to land on Mars.
2. First person to return from Mars.
3. First person to die on Mars.
4. First person to commit suicide on Mars.
5. First person to commit murder on Mars.

Then, it will be like home sweet home.

Edited by megabaki, 05 December 2012 - 02:14 PM.

#47 Ryan Schurton   Members   -  Reputation: 172

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:20 PM

Not if i could never come back. I live in Toronto and i have no problem moving some where else on the planet. Living in space if it was Suppose to happen God would of put man on other planets too.

#48 samoth   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4660

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:38 PM

I wonder nobody sees the fallacy. The main selling point is that it's comparatively "cheap" due to that kind of lottery they do. Seeing how there is no trip home planned... tell me what does the price matter at all? For any "no way to return" trip which is not a con, they could ask any amount of money they want.

People would not mind giving all their money, because there is no returning home, and the money is worth nothing on Mars.

#49 megabaki   Members   -  Reputation: 126

Posted 05 December 2012 - 03:03 PM

I wonder nobody sees the fallacy. The main selling point is that it's comparatively "cheap" due to that kind of lottery they do. Seeing how there is no trip home planned... tell me what does the price matter at all? For any "no way to return" trip which is not a con, they could ask any amount of money they want.

People would not mind giving all their money, because there is no returning home, and the money is worth nothing on Mars.

Get a lawyer to read the contract. Let's hope he speaks Dutch.

#50 RivieraKid   Members   -  Reputation: 374

Posted 05 December 2012 - 03:52 PM

I think most would leave all of their money to their loved ones.

#51 L. Spiro   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 13004

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:33 PM

Living in space if it was Suppose to happen God would of put man on other planets too.

By that logic, if we were supposed to eat, God would have put the food into our mouths.
If we were supposed to walk, God would move our legs for us.

The whole “God would have done it for us” argument is one of the worst rebuttals there is. Even if you believe in God it only proves my point: We obviously have the ability to do things without having some God do it for us.
#1: If you are so hung up pretending to know God’s plans, then move out of your home and discard your clothes, money, and personal belongings. God didn’t make your house, so it is obviously not His intention that you live in it.
#2: Even if there was a God that line of logic would only be used against you. God does not put food into your mouth for you. You have the ability to do it on your own, and it apparently is not against his will. God didn’t make your house. Humans have the ability to do that for themselves, and it is apparently not against his will. Likewise, we have the ability to travel to Mars, and who are you to say if it is his will or not? As far as I am concerned, ignoring the obvious fact that we have certain physical and mental abilities as well as physical and mental limitations makes it obvious that whatever we were not “meant” to do is defined by what we physically and mentally can’t do. It’s obvious. To ignore that is your way of showing mistrust in God’s plan. Or do you want to openly claim that God is imperfect?

“If God wanted us to…” is historically the worst argument that can be made against anything, after, “Because I said so.”

I think you missed something. The astronauts not only do not pay anything, they get paid a salary during the 10 years of training, and it is likely to be quite hefty.
You can spend your money from Mars. When you want something you buy it and it will be sent on the next shuttle, as long as it is within reason as far as payload cargo goes.
Since it televised, they also have an obligation to actually send people to Mars. That will be televised as well.
Additionally, they will send multiple unmanned ships to Mars before the main launch. If they don’t do that, people will back out. If they do do it, it is obviously not a hoax.

I think you should wait until these milestones have been met:
1. First person to land on Mars.
2. First person to return from Mars.
3. First person to die on Mars.
4. First person to commit suicide on Mars.
5. First person to commit murder on Mars.
Then, it will be like home sweet home.

If I wanted it to be like home, I would stay home.
Besides, part of the point is to be a part of history. That means not letting those milestones be given to other people.

L. Spiro

Edited by L. Spiro, 05 December 2012 - 04:37 PM.

It is amazing how often people try to be unique, and yet they are always trying to make others be like them. - L. Spiro 2011
I spent most of my life learning the courage it takes to go out and get what I want. Now that I have it, I am not sure exactly what it is that I want. - L. Spiro 2013
I went to my local Subway once to find some guy yelling at the staff. When someone finally came to take my order and asked, “May I help you?”, I replied, “Yeah, I’ll have one asshole to go.”
L. Spiro Engine: http://lspiroengine.com
L. Spiro Engine Forums: http://lspiroengine.com/forums

#52 Memories are Better   Prime Members   -  Reputation: 769

Posted 05 December 2012 - 05:04 PM

There was a show that I never watched in England that sent people to the moon / some station, or at least convince them that they were on the moon / some station when they were actually still on land, when I read about the selection process involving reality TV I was a bit skeptical.

Eitherway I agree on what you said about being attached to one place, I liked to move a lot to the point where I have moved a total of 25 times in 10 years, sometimes overnight for lolz WITH 3 desktops. Sadly I stay put now because I have a cat but if I didnt have one I probably would be travelling or moving to Mars.

#53 samoth   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4660

Posted 05 December 2012 - 05:05 PM

Since it televised, they also have an obligation to actually send people to Mars. That will be televised as well.

You are of course entirely right, I forgot about that.

Additionally, they will send multiple unmanned ships to Mars before the main launch. If they don’t do that, people will back out. If they do do it, it is obviously not a hoax.

Look, what you don't get is this: You pay them now, and maybe they do some desert reality show in 10 years, if they do it. That is, unless you wait for it to happen and the company goes into liquidation a day later. Incidentially the period of limitation is just about... wait... exactly 10 years.

What are you going to do if they don't select you to go to the desert in 10 years? What are you going to do if in 15 or 20 years you discover the whole show on TV was filmed in a studio, with drama students, or amateur actors? What are you going to do if there is no show at all and you find out the company doesn't exist any more?
Exactly. Nothing. You can go ahead and try to sue them, good luck. Where there is nothing, the King loses his rights.

No laws, no government, no taxes.

So go ahead and sue them if you aren't sent what you bought. Let's just hope you're not getting too annoying and too expensive, or someone might just turn off the oxygen tap. No laws, you know...

#54 L. Spiro   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 13004

Posted 05 December 2012 - 05:19 PM

Look, what you don't get is this: You pay them now

Again, for the third time, the astronauts do not pay. The money does not come from the astronauts.
The astronauts get paid and quite a hefty salary.

So, what if it does fizzle out? I take my $200,000-per-year salary and buy that condo I wanted in Tokyo.

L. Spiro

Edited by L. Spiro, 05 December 2012 - 06:06 PM.

It is amazing how often people try to be unique, and yet they are always trying to make others be like them. - L. Spiro 2011
I spent most of my life learning the courage it takes to go out and get what I want. Now that I have it, I am not sure exactly what it is that I want. - L. Spiro 2013
I went to my local Subway once to find some guy yelling at the staff. When someone finally came to take my order and asked, “May I help you?”, I replied, “Yeah, I’ll have one asshole to go.”

#55 ManuelMarino   Members   -  Reputation: 153

Posted 05 December 2012 - 05:48 PM

ok... after all this huge discussion... how many posts!!! are we talking about something serious? or everyone is writing a piece of a scifi novel?
Electronic, Hard House, Film Music

88 preview tracks to listen to online + artist forums

And my projects Vanethian, and X-tivity Factor

#56 froop   Members   -  Reputation: 636

Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:35 PM

No, I wouldn't like to live on mars. But I wouldn't mind if almost everyone else went there :)

#57 megabaki   Members   -  Reputation: 126

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:00 PM

If I wanted it to be like home, I would stay home.
Besides, part of the point is to be a part of history. That means not letting those milestones be given to other people.
L. Spiro

Yeah, I listed some honorable milestones there.

You have this strange notion that if you need something, then there's going to be someone on Earth
to Fedex you a care package every time you need it? Have money, will travel? That's not gonna help
much if you get brain cancer or lose a leg. Contract a disease? Need a quick blood transfusion?
Immediate medical attention will not come to you.

Sorry, but I don't think Mars will be ready for civilians during your entire lifetime.

Edited by megabaki, 06 December 2012 - 04:05 AM.

#58 L. Spiro   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 13004

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:09 PM

Why so much hostility? There wasn’t any before.

You have this strange notion that if you need something, then there's going to be someone on Earth
to Fedex you a care package every time you need it?

You have a strange notion that I have a strange notion.
I plan to buy nothing and I am aware of the dangers.

I don’t get why that is hard to get. Who said I thought FedEx was going to ship me anything? Who said I thought I would get medical assistance beyond the basics?
Why are you inferring so much? Why can’t you just understand that I know the situation and I accepted it and am ready to go? People who are willing to live in Mars are invariably misunderstanding the rough-and-tough conditions, the risks of death or serious irreparable damage, and their financial situations?
It has nothing to do with the drive to explore, live in exotic new locations, go down in history, become a founding figure of a new culture, etc.?
Gosh! News to me!

Sorry, but I don't think Mars will be ready for civilians during your entire lifetime.

Not unless non-civilians such as myself make it ready.

L. Spiro

Edited by L. Spiro, 05 December 2012 - 09:41 PM.

#59 szecs   Members   -  Reputation: 2102

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:22 PM

So, is it all about making history then?

I mean, if you wanted, you could actually go to harsh places on Earth too. Now. I'm seriously thinking about living in Siberia for some time (maybe a year or something). I don't feel attached to my "home", actually I never did feel home any time in my life. The reason I'm not there yet, is that I have a girlfriend, and I'm too attached to her.

Setting up a goal that distant (Mars) seems more like an escapement from solving problems here on Earth (maybe the problem is boredom, or not feeling attached to a place). In 10 or 20 years you'll get there. Problem solved.

Okay, you can discover places, walk some places where never anybody walked. In a red desert that is.... a red desert.

Making history? Well, everyone will know your name because, well...you were on Mars and... did something. That's something. For me, history making would be designing that spaceship that takes us there, but probably my name wouldn't get into the history books. Something that is so appealing to many, I don't get why.

#60 FableFox   Members   -  Reputation: 491

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:03 AM

I would love to go.

But I'm not sure if I have what it takes. Other than that:

a) I'm a loner
b) I already accept the fact that one day I will die. Maybe tomorrow (accident, perhaps?).
c) As long as I have support and list of things to do (terraforming?), I'll be fine.

Going to Mars is like going to war. You don't count of anything until you are home safely. Even then there are death of ex-soldier due to other thing unrelated to war after they return home. Just like soldier is worry of ambushes and snipers and IED, people knew there are danger all the time.

But like winning a war, there will be first steps and there will be sacrifices.

So, again, I would love to go. But I'm not sure I have what it takes.

Short story, my country back then wanted to send someone to space. So there was a competition. This guy won it. The back up guy is an army person.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheikh_Muszaphar_Shukor
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faiz_Khaleed <-- backup guy

Everyone know of shuttle explosion. But that the risk that comes with it.
Fable Fox is Stronger <--- Fable Fox is Stronger Project

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS