• Create Account

Expensive Post Processing Techniques

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
7 replies to this topic

#1 Muzzy A   Members   -  Reputation: 638

0Likes

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:36 AM

Hey I'm looking for a really expensive post processing technique that i can learn and implement in less than a week. It has to do with school, and after i find something expensive i have to optimize it.

So anyone know anything that will definitely cause a significant decrease in FPS?

Sponsor:

#2 mhagain   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 7959

1Likes

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:43 AM

Any kind of naive bloom/blur filter should be good enough. Try a 9x9 kernel, which - in the unoptimized case - will give you 81 texture accesses per pixel. If that doesn't bring your hardware to it's knees then ramp the kernel size up.

It appears that the gentleman thought C++ was extremely difficult and he was overjoyed that the machine was absorbing it; he understood that good C++ is difficult but the best C++ is well-nigh unintelligible.

#3 Muzzy A   Members   -  Reputation: 638

0Likes

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:00 AM

yeah i originally thought about blur, but i thought maybe something better was out there.

#4 Sirisian   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1753

3Likes

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:07 AM

If you had a model renderered and a very basic g buffer you could analyze ssao. The many naive approaches are expensive with tons of optimization routes to research.

#5 Muzzy A   Members   -  Reputation: 638

0Likes

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:09 PM

now that seems interesting

#6 Quat   Members   -  Reputation: 404

1Likes

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:27 PM

SSAO with bilateral blur should do it.
-----Quat

#7 Muzzy A   Members   -  Reputation: 638

0Likes

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:46 PM

thanks for the suggestions guys. this should work perfectly

#8 Key_46   Members   -  Reputation: 418

0Likes

Posted 03 December 2012 - 06:10 PM

Add some Subpixel Morphological Antialiasing to the mix and voilá.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS