• Create Account

is gdebugger wrong or do I really have 300gb in renderbuffers?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
5 replies to this topic

#1 ic0de   Members   -  Reputation: 804

0Likes

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:53 PM

Gdebugger is reporting that I have 293,601,280 KB in render buffers allocated thats about 280GB. I have one 8x multisampled fbo which has 3 renderbuffers one of the renderbuffers is using GL_FLOAT (two colors and one depth). And another 3 non multisampled renderbuffers with the same setup. I think there may be a glitch in gdebugger where it is reporting MB as GB. Even so I think 280 MB is way two much for my renderbuffers. Is there any way to cut down on the size of my renderbuffers as they seem to be taking up a majority of the memory?

you know you program too much when you start ending sentences with semicolons;

Sponsor:

#2 Yours3!f   Members   -  Reputation: 1285

1Likes

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:18 AM

Hi,

I get false values too, I use a 1024x1024 RGBA8 cubemap texture. This should take:
1024 (width) x 1024 (height) x 6 (sides) x 4 (bytes per pixel) ~ 25 MB
instead it says 148 MB... So it is definitely wrong.
As far as I've seen it, it report correct values for 2D textures, but false ones for pretty much everything else.

#3 Hodgman   Moderators   -  Reputation: 28780

1Likes

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:43 AM

I think there may be a glitch in gdebugger where it is reporting MB as GB

That sounds possible. What resolution are you using? At ~1080p with your described setup, and regular depth buffers, you would be somewhere around the ~280MiB mark...

Why do you need a multisampled G-Buffer and a non-multisampled G-buffer?

Edited by Hodgman, 04 December 2012 - 07:47 AM.

#4 ic0de   Members   -  Reputation: 804

0Likes

Posted 04 December 2012 - 02:33 PM

I think there may be a glitch in gdebugger where it is reporting MB as GB

That sounds possible. What resolution are you using? At ~1080p with your described setup, and regular depth buffers, you would be somewhere around the ~280MiB mark...

Why do you need a multisampled G-Buffer and a non-multisampled G-buffer?

My resolution is 1280x1024 and the reason I need both multisampled and non multisampled is because in order for the multisampled texture to be displayed it needs to be blitted to a normal buffer.

#5 Hodgman   Moderators   -  Reputation: 28780

1Likes

Posted 04 December 2012 - 05:31 PM

At that res, I can't reconcile your description with the memory usage; must be a bug like mentioned earlier...

Regarding MSAA, you can only display a single target, so there should be a need to resolve 3 MSAA targets for display.
Is your 3xrender-target a g-buffer for deferred rendering? If so, averaging MSAA samples is non-sensical -- If you've got a red pixel facing the camera at 0m, and a green pixel facing 90deg at 1000m, then their averaged appearance is not the same as the appearance of a purple surface facing 45deg at 500m.

#6 ic0de   Members   -  Reputation: 804

0Likes

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:38 PM

At that res, I can't reconcile your description with the memory usage; must be a bug like mentioned earlier...

Regarding MSAA, you can only display a single target, so there should be a need to resolve 3 MSAA targets for display.
Is your 3xrender-target a g-buffer for deferred rendering? If so, averaging MSAA samples is non-sensical -- If you've got a red pixel facing the camera at 0m, and a green pixel facing 90deg at 1000m, then their averaged appearance is not the same as the appearance of a purple surface facing 45deg at 500m.

yep its a g-buffer but its for ssao not deferred rendering, I suppose it doesn't have to be multisampled since all it stores is normal vectors.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS