• Create Account

Visual Studio 9 search results steal keyboard focus

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
4 replies to this topic

#1 0BZEN   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2004

0Likes

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:57 AM

Just something that annoys me mildly.

I may start a 'find in files' search, which will take a while, and then I'll be doing some other stuff in the editor window in the meanwhile, and all the sudden the focus shifts to the Find Window when the search completes. Any way to stop VS doing that? I didn't find any options in the tools-> options menu, maybe someone who is equally crossed with this found a way to stop this frankly pointless behaviour.

Everything is better with Metal.

Sponsor:

#2 Khatharr   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2836

0Likes

Posted 04 December 2012 - 03:47 PM

• Disassemble it to find the offending bytecode.
  • Terminate with extreme prejudice.
  • Weep because you must now reinstall.
Which version of VS are you talking about? I know what you mean, btw. I have one app that's constantly grabbing focus anytime it thinks something interesting has happened. It's really probably the most annoying thing a program can do apart from ctd.
void hurrrrrrrr() {__asm sub [ebp+4],5;}

There are ten kinds of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't.

#3 Nypyren   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3720

0Likes

Posted 04 December 2012 - 05:51 PM

I just hit the ESC key when it steals focus, and focus returns to the text editor pane.

It's very odd that your searches take any time at all. Do you have regular expression matching enabled? Even on my 2500 file project, it takes less than a second to do a full project text search because the recently used files are cached in memory by the operating system.

#4 phil_t   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3204

0Likes

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:07 PM

VS is full of annoying workflow-hurting bugs like that. Seems like the folks that designed the UI didn't actually use it themsevles (or they aren't programmers).

As for searches being quick: at least when using C#, searches in VS appear to be CPU-bound instead of IO-bound. Crazy! A findstr from the cmd line will search all the files in an instant, but VS's find will take several seconds.

#5 0BZEN   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2004

0Likes

Posted 10 December 2012 - 03:26 AM

That's on a 3-million-lines-of-code project, so it takes a while to do anything, especially on a dual-core Xeon Posted Image

Everything is better with Metal.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS