• Create Account

Looking for C++ tutorials and projects

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
10 replies to this topic

#1 Chuckles_KSU   Members   -  Reputation: 107

0Likes

Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:19 PM

Hey everyone! I'm new here, so if I'm posting at the wrong place at the wrong time, wrong place at the right time, or any such combination, please forgive me. Posted Image

I've been teaching myself C++ for the past month or with the interest of developing a roguelike. I realize this is a huge undertaking, but for now this is my, big, longterm goal. Anyway, what I'm looking for right now are some good tutorial websites with project ideas to complete, preferably centered around gaming. The resources I use now are..

~~ http://www.learncpp.com/ ~~ From what I can understand, a good tutorial, but lacking in projects and ideas for application...

~~C++ for Dummies~~ Yeah, for dummies probably wasn't the best idea, but it's helped explain some concepts I've otherwise been lost on.

~~ http://ocw.mit.edu/c...nuary-iap-2011/ ~~ Open course notes with some project ideas but nothing game design oriented.

If there's anyone out there that can point me at some additional resourses, either someone experienced that knows what I should be looking for from a programming perspective, or else a fellow newbie who want to swap sites, I'd really appreciate hearing from you!

Thanks in advance!

~Chuckles
int main()
{
Conquer_World();
return 0;
}

Sponsor:

#2 Cdrandin   Members   -  Reputation: 443

2Likes

Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:49 PM

Here you go:
http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=1
http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=1 (C++ tutorials below)
http://content.gpwik...x.php/Main_Page

Pretty much pick your API or engine. Want to push a game pick an engine, want to learn how graphics really work use OpenGL.
http://www.gamedev.n...for-indie-game/

For more tools go to http://www.gamedev.net/forum/41-apis-and-tools/

Edited by Cdrandin, 05 December 2012 - 06:51 PM.

#3 Chuckles_KSU   Members   -  Reputation: 107

0Likes

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:07 PM

Thak you Cdrandin!! Those youtube channels I can see being especially useful, as I'm more of a visual learner than anything. Nevercould find anything like that myself. Posted Image I appreciate it!

Edited by Chuckles_KSU, 05 December 2012 - 07:08 PM.

int main()
{
Conquer_World();
return 0;
}

#4 Serapth   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 5179

1Likes

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:11 PM

I am biased, but of course I would recommend this tutorial. It wont teach you the basics of C++, but it will bridge the gap between doing tutorial samples and creating full applications. By the time you are done it, if you digested everything, you should be ready to make a full game of your own.

I've been contacted by a few people that started off with this tutorial and some of the works they have accomplished are damned impressive!

#5 Chuckles_KSU   Members   -  Reputation: 107

0Likes

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:24 PM

Hey, biased just means you know what you're talking about. ;)

Definitely bookmarking that to look into once I'm more familiar with the basics of C++. I wonder if you might be able to help me find some tutorial projects. Tutorials on how to code are plentiful, but it seems that very few of them actually include any tutorial projects, or anything where I can test myself to see if I can apply the concepts as I learn them. More than anything else I need practice, but it's at times difficult to know exactly what I should be practicing. If that makes sense. Lol. I thank you sincerely, Serapth, and if you or anyone else could help me further, I would be forever ingratiated. Posted Image

Edited by Chuckles_KSU, 05 December 2012 - 07:25 PM.

int main()
{
Conquer_World();
return 0;
}

#6 Serapth   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 5179

1Likes

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:10 PM

Hey, biased just means you know what you're talking about. ;)

Definitely bookmarking that to look into once I'm more familiar with the basics of C++. I wonder if you might be able to help me find some tutorial projects. Tutorials on how to code are plentiful, but it seems that very few of them actually include any tutorial projects, or anything where I can test myself to see if I can apply the concepts as I learn them. More than anything else I need practice, but it's at times difficult to know exactly what I should be practicing. If that makes sense. Lol. I thank you sincerely, Serapth, and if you or anyone else could help me further, I would be forever ingratiated. Posted Image

Well, that's the nice part about my tutorial. It's over 10 parts, but each part includes a completely pre-configured project that you can download. So you can play around at any time without having to mess with setting up the linker, etc...

And never assume bias = knowledge, NEVER! Posted Image

I wrote that tutorial series because the selection of tutorials out there sucked, bad, especially when it comes to showing good practices.

Edited by Serapth, 05 December 2012 - 08:10 PM.

#7 Chuckles_KSU   Members   -  Reputation: 107

0Likes

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:54 PM

Well, that's the nice part about my tutorial. It's over 10 parts, but each part includes a completely pre-configured project that you can download. So you can play around at any time without having to mess with setting up the linker, etc...

Oh, ok! I see what's going on now. Thank you for the help! :)
int main()
{
Conquer_World();
return 0;
}

#8 BrentChua   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1066

1Likes

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:13 AM

The book Beginning C++ Through Game Programming by Michael Dawson is also a good book to read. It doesn't cover C++ too in depth but just enough to get you comfortable with C++ while maintaining the topics game development centric at the same time. Its easy to read and follow through the code samples.

#9 frazchaudhry   Members   -  Reputation: 1119

0Likes

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:47 AM

Well, that's the nice part about my tutorial. It's over 10 parts.....

Well its up to part 9 right now and has been for about a year now. As someone who has followed your tutorial and learned from it, I was wondering when you are going to be releasing the remaining parts. I see you haven't replied to any of the people on your tutorial page who have asked you this question, so I thought I'd ask this here.

Edited by frazchaudhry, 06 December 2012 - 05:48 AM.

#10 Chuckles_KSU   Members   -  Reputation: 107

0Likes

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:49 AM

The book Beginning C++ Through Game Programming by Michael Dawson is also a good book to read. It doesn't cover C++ too in depth but just enough to get you comfortable with C++ while maintaining the topics game development centric at the same time. Its easy to read and follow through the code samples.

Thank you for your help, BrentChua. :) Definitely going to look into that. It actually looks like exactly what I'm looking for. Between that book and Serapth's tutorials I should be occupied for a long time. Lol. I'd still welcome any more resources anyone can throw at me though. Especially beginner project ideas, and websites or books with just a list of potential projects would be gold. :)
int main()
{
Conquer_World();
return 0;
}

#11 Serapth   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 5179

0Likes

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:08 PM

Well, that's the nice part about my tutorial. It's over 10 parts.....

Well its up to part 9 right now and has been for about a year now. As someone who has followed your tutorial and learned from it, I was wondering when you are going to be releasing the remaining parts. I see you haven't replied to any of the people on your tutorial page who have asked you this question, so I thought I'd ask this here.

Yeah... my bad.

In some ways it's rather complete, in that there wasnt a ton more topics to cover in the scope of that tutorial. Second, the format I wrote it in made a maintenance nightmare for me, where if I made a change early on, I would have to update 8+ 10+MB project zip files to propagate the changes... lesson learned there. I should however get part 10 up for a matter of completion. The only topic I didn't cover that I wanted to was smart pointers, so I suppose I should just complete the game. Even worse, my blogging software is making going back to older posts an absolute nightmare, which compounded the problem.

On the other hand, I didn't feel a ton of pressure, because frankly I covered pretty much everything I intended to. I suppose what I didn't do was finish the game though, so yeah...

One of the biggest problems, and this isn't going to make a ton of sense to anyone that isn't me, but I've taken off my C++ thinking cap and have been working in higher level languages. I need to use C++ for a couple weeks to get back in C++ mode, or I write complete crap and that doesn't help anyone. Recently ive been working a lot on LUA and JavaScript for the site, as well as C# for my personal project, but a lot of those projects are coming to a close ( and I am looking at C++ again thanks to Moai and GamePlay3D libraries ), so that should help.
TL;DR

My bad.

Edited by Serapth, 06 December 2012 - 12:12 PM.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS