• Create Account

are there any game or graphics api for vs c# 2012?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
5 replies to this topic

#1 nickme   Members   -  Reputation: 205

0Likes

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:52 PM

hi

i want to write a game using visual c# 2012 express. i wonder whether there is any game or graphics API such as Opengl for vs c#?

i googled and search Amazon (for book), but could not find one.

any suggestion is appreciated.

Sponsor:

#2 Bacterius   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 8880

0Likes

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:18 PM

Uh, have you tried DirectX? I recommend starting with 11, as DirectX 9 is phasing out and unless you're supporting old devices you have no reason to use it over DirectX 11 which has a much cleaner API and even has feature sets, which are really a better approach to compatibility than black&white "your card is too old to run this game". Of course this is assuming you're running Windows, but since you mention Visual Studio I think the odds of you using Linux or Mac are rather slim.

As for an actual game engine, then there are lots of them - you can use Unity3D with C#, for instance, but there are many more to choose from.

Edited by Bacterius, 05 December 2012 - 10:20 PM.

The slowsort algorithm is a perfect illustration of the multiply and surrender paradigm, which is perhaps the single most important paradigm in the development of reluctant algorithms. The basic multiply and surrender strategy consists in replacing the problem at hand by two or more subproblems, each slightly simpler than the original, and continue multiplying subproblems and subsubproblems recursively in this fashion as long as possible. At some point the subproblems will all become so simple that their solution can no longer be postponed, and we will have to surrender. Experience shows that, in most cases, by the time this point is reached the total work will be substantially higher than what could have been wasted by a more direct approach.

- Pessimal Algorithms and Simplexity Analysis

#3 BCullis   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1813

0Likes

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:13 PM

I am genuinely surprised that you weren't aware of the C# wrappers for DirectX (SlimDX and SharpDX), but I'd definitely look at those, or XNA, ANX, Monogame, Unity, or the Tao Framework (which is an OpenGL library for C#).

Just about every library I've found for C++ has a C# wrapper version, network libraries, physics libraries, asset loaders, you name it. Just throw "C# wrapper for" in front of any generic library type in google and you'll likely get a few options.
Hazard Pay :: FPS/RTS in SharpDX
DeviantArt :: Because right-brain needs love too

#4 NoAdmiral   Members   -  Reputation: 511

0Likes

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:36 PM

I'm just going to suggest OpenTK since you mentioned OpenGL. It, like Tao, is an OpenGL library for C#, but I've found it to be a little more up-to-date and much more C#-syntax friendly.

Inspiration from my tea:

"Never wish life were easier. Wish that you were better" -Jim Rohn

herwrathmustbedragons.tumblr.com

#5 BrentChua   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1066

0Likes

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:09 AM

You can use XNA to make games using C# and DirectX. Or Unity would be a better choice; You don't need to mess with the graphics stuff anymore and just concentrate on your game's gameplay mechanism.

#6 DarkRonin   Members   -  Reputation: 610

0Likes

Posted 06 December 2012 - 03:52 AM

If you go with XNA and C# you have a good start towards supporting XBOX, if your program becomes a hit and you want to support the console.

I personally use DX9.0c still. ;)

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS