• Create Account

ToneMap with other post process effect

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
1 reply to this topic

#1 Alundra   Members   -  Reputation: 868

0Likes

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:55 PM

Hi,
Look at a lot of post process effect in chain :
Depth Of Field->Bloom->MotionBlur->FXAA

Now, add a tone map in it.Since tone map is the only one who need a RGBA32 input texture, does it right to make it first to avoid all other post process to be RGBA32 ? Does it can be done before Bloom to avoid bloom output a RGBA32 texture ?
What is the good way to handle all that without loose perf too much perf ?

Thanks

Sponsor:

#2 Hodgman   Moderators   -  Reputation: 30432

0Likes

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:31 PM

DOF, Boom and Motion blur all look much more realistic if they are done before tone-mapping (e.g. an out-of-focus bright point turns into a large disc, or a fast moving bright particle turns into a bright line), but yes, you get much better performance if they are done after tone-mapping.

Personally, if I was making a PC game, I would support both approaches and give the user the option of "HDR Post Processing: Yes/No", etc...

FXAA should always be done after tone-mapping.

In the last game I worked on, we did do most of the post-processing after tone-mapping, for performance reasons.
For the bloom, we used the HDR image as an input, but copied it to an RGBA8888 texture with something like output=(HDR*scale)-bias, which acts as a traditional "threshold" pass.
- Threshold and bias (to 8888) - blur, blur, blur -
    /                                                   \
HDR-                                                     - Screen Blend - DOF, motion blur - FXAA
    \                                                   /
     - ToneMap (to 8888) -------------------------------

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS