• Create Account

Rain Rendering

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

#1 Martin Perry   Members   -  Reputation: 1054

0Likes

Posted 08 December 2012 - 05:44 AM

Hi,

I have been looking for ways, how to render rain. Basicly, they are 2 main approaches. First, using full screen quad, from Tatarchuk (ShaderX5), and the second using particles. For that, I found http://developer.download.nvidia.com/SDK/10/direct3d/Source/rain/doc/RainSDKWhitePaper.pdf. The second paper, from NVidia, looks better for me.
Can anyone tell me, which is better ? In the Tatarchuk approach, isn' t there problem, if camera is facing directly UP ?

Thanks

Sponsor:

#2 Frenetic Pony   Members   -  Reputation: 1192

0Likes

Posted 08 December 2012 - 02:38 PM

I've never enjoyed the fullscreen approach, it's basically there if you're extremely performance limited. If you've got milliseconds to spare there's no reason to not go with a full particle approach.

Though, specifically for the Nvidia paper, the lighting and etc. via a texture array seems slightly hacky, but still it's going to look much better than the screenspace solution.

Edited by Frenetic Pony, 08 December 2012 - 02:50 PM.

#3 Martin Perry   Members   -  Reputation: 1054

0Likes

Posted 09 December 2012 - 11:13 AM

Ok.. thanks... I started to code NVidia approach.... I will be solving "hacky" lighting through deferred rendering, becuase I am goin to render rain as postprocess.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS