• Create Account

latest mario's games lighting model

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
3 replies to this topic

#1 Ekt   Members   -  Reputation: 366

0Likes

Posted 08 December 2012 - 10:37 AM

i'd like to set up a scene with lighting similar to what you can see on recent (wii) mario games

i'm not referring to the rim/fresnel effect, easily obtainable either with shaders or the envmap trick
what i'd really like to understand is how they get this flat/saturates/toony lighting effect

i know for sure (cause i have extracted source models) that they are baking AO at the vertex level
so could it be that there are no lights at all, ambient light is pure white, every model has colors and shades just from texture + vertex color?
Ekt

Sponsor:

#2 Kryzon   Prime Members   -  Reputation: 2682

0Likes

Posted 09 December 2012 - 07:25 PM

Please post some screenshots from the official game that illustrate what you're after.

#3 Ekt   Members   -  Reputation: 366

0Likes

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:40 PM

sorry Kryzon, I didnt got notified of your answer 

let's start with my attempt to replicate the feeling of a mario galaxy world

image2im.th.png  image4xy.th.png

lighting is rather dull. there is something missing

lets now take some smg screenshot

supermariogalaxy10.th.jpg  supermariogalaxy2y.th.jpg 

so the first thing i'm wondering is: are they using any directional or spotlight at all?
maybe they are just precalculating and baking some ambient occlusion lighting

all in all, smg seems more flat, which gives a more cartoon effect, which is exactly what i want

all the tip/advice/whatever you can think off will be precious

Ekt

#4 riuthamus   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4454

0Likes

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:35 AM

Doesnt look like they are using directional or spotlight. Looks like ambient occlusion and that is it.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS