• Create Account

Loading Precompiled Shader?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

#1 NotTakenSN   Members   -  Reputation: 149

0Likes

Posted 08 December 2012 - 11:26 AM

I'm trying to remove the effects pipeline from my program and have realized that I have no idea how to load a precompiled shader without the effects functions. I've found example code that uses D3DReadFileToBlob, but that is only available in the Windows 8 SDK (I'm using the June 2010 SDK). I've even tried linking to the d3dcompiler.lib in the Windows 8 SDK, but still can't use the function. Right now, I'm attempting to read in the file through std::ifstream into a std::vector<char>, then use CreateVertexShader(). Is this the right way to go? Also, how do I set up the input layout afterwards? Most of the examples I see store the byte code in a ID3DBlob, so they are able to use ID3DBlob::GetBufferPointer() to retrieve the void *pShaderBytecodeWithInputSignature required in the CreateInputLayout() function. My byte code is stored in a vector<char>, so how do I do this? Can I create a ID3DBlob from a vector<char>?

Sponsor:

#2 kunos   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2149

0Likes

Posted 08 December 2012 - 11:37 AM

I save on the file the size of the blob then the blob itself. Then read like this straight into the blob:
in.read((char*)vs_blob->GetBufferPointer() , vs_size);

After that, once you have the blob, you go on creating your shader as usual.
Stefano Casillo
Lead Programmer
TWITTER: @KunosStefano
AssettoCorsa - netKar PRO - Kunos Simulazioni

#3 ~Helgon   Members   -  Reputation: 357

0Likes

Posted 08 December 2012 - 01:01 PM

Hi, im doing it this way:

filename is for example: L"Shadows.cso" (or what ever format you have, maybe .fxo)
mFX is : ID3DX11Effect* mFX;

std::ifstream fin(filename, std::ios::binary);
fin.seekg(0, std::ios_base::end);
int size = (int)fin.tellg();
fin.seekg(0, std::ios_base::beg);
std::vector<char> compiledShader(size);
fin.read(&amp;amp;amp;compiledShader[0], size);
fin.close();

D3DX11CreateEffectFromMemory(&compiledShader[0], size, 0, device, &mFX);

Regards

Edited by ~Helgon, 08 December 2012 - 01:03 PM.

from time to time i find time

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS