Getting Started - Need a few advises

Started by
3 comments, last by NellekoC 11 years, 4 months ago
Hello Everyone!

My name is NellekoC, me and my friend are building a project in game developing. We are planning a small scale project before going for the larger scale. So our problem is, we can't seem to find a proper programming language to use. Our game is a simple "turn-based" game. Although we decided to make it using C++ the problem is we don't know anything much about how graphic works and how it is implemented in the said language. so here we are now making our research and need a few advises before jumping in.
Advertisement

Hello Everyone!

My name is NellekoC, me and my friend are building a project in game developing. We are planning a small scale project before going for the larger scale. So our problem is, we can't seem to find a proper programming language to use. Our game is a simple "turn-based" game. Although we decided to make it using C++ the problem is we don't know anything much about how graphic works and how it is implemented in the said language. so here we are now making our research and need a few advises before jumping in.

If you don't already know how to program, trying to use c++ to jump right into graphics is a bad idea. It's like saying "I don't know what a 5/16 box wrench is but I want to build a race car for NASCAR." If you want to jump right into making simple games try something like Python or Java (I recommend Python). They have a much shorter learning curve.
I agree with BMO, C++ has been around for a long time and while still a great language isn't the easiest path to develope games. Java and Python are both relatively new, and include good, modern tools for graphics. I would also recommend C# as a powerful tool that I found to be one of the easiest platforms to make a game with.
Stay gold, Pony Boy.
Read me.

Start small and iterate. Build on prior successes and learn from failures. Repeat and rinse.
Thank you for your kind replies! We will acknowledge your advises!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement