• Create Account

Unwanted notifications received

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
15 replies to this topic

#1 DpakoH   Members   -  Reputation: 906

Posted 09 December 2012 - 09:17 AM

Hello site admins,
A very strange thing happened to me. After I made a post about a bug in the forum, I started to receive notification via email from topics that I DONT FOLLOW and all of them are from "GDNet Comments, Suggestions and Ideas". Please fix it :)

ps: one more thing, couple of days ago when i logged in a was redirected to a page i didn't have permissions for and further more redirected to an error page. no big deal, just mention it.

Sponsor:

#2 Gaiiden   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 4648

Posted 09 December 2012 - 04:43 PM

You had notifications enabled for the CSI forum in your settings. I disabled it. I take it you didn't set that up?

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

#3 DpakoH   Members   -  Reputation: 906

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:34 AM

You had notifications enabled for the CSI forum in your settings. I disabled it. I take it you didn't set that up?

nope, i didn't set that up, furthermore i received two more notifications via email today, again from the same forum section. so i guess whatever you did, it is not working :(

#4 DpakoH   Members   -  Reputation: 906

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:37 AM

also i noticed this just now. something is wrong

#5 jbadams   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 17285

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:42 AM

As of right now you aren't following the CSI forum, let's see if it sticks this time...

#6 proanim   Members   -  Reputation: 437

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:41 PM

i am having same email problem with general programing forum i have unchecked "Send me any updates sent by the board administrator" found in 'My Settings' under 'Notification Options' but i still get emails

#7 jbadams   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 17285

Posted 11 December 2012 - 10:40 PM

DpakoH: I've just checked, and as of this post you're still successfully unsubscribed from CSI updates. Please let us know if there's still a problem when you log in.

proanim: I haven't updated any settings on your account for now, but the setting in question is the one for "Notification method to use for topics in followed forums" in the "Topics & Posts" category of your "Notification Options", or if you want to leave the setting as-is and simply "un-follow" the General Programming forum use the "Leave this group" button in the upper right of the General Programming topic index. Feel free to let me know if you'd like me to adjust these settings for you, otherwise I'll leave it to you.

We'll have a bit of an investigate and see if we can figure out how these options might have been set unintentionally -- we certainly don't want you guys being bugged by unwanted notifications!

#8 Ryan_001   Prime Members   -  Reputation: 1233

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:19 PM

I have the same problem. Out of no where I've gotten a ton of notifications from forums I've never read. As far as I know I've never selected anything to follow them (in fact I've never even read any of the threads I'm getting notifications for).

*edit: Seems I had notifications enabled for the beginner's forum. Which is funny cause I'm certain I never selected it, nor have I even gone there that I can remember... I have since disabled it, we'll see if it sticks.

Edited by Ryan_001, 12 December 2012 - 09:21 PM.

#9 proanim   Members   -  Reputation: 437

Posted 13 December 2012 - 08:46 PM

When i make a new topic and i check 'content i follow' option under 'by selecton' - 'forum', I get that subforum as i picked to follow it and i need to select 'leave this group' so i don't get notification by email. I this intended?

#10 DpakoH   Members   -  Reputation: 906

Posted 14 December 2012 - 01:39 AM

and yet again, this time from different forum section....

#11 jbadams   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 17285

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:38 AM

Ok, sounds like we have a genuine problem of some sort where this is being unintentional enabled for some reason.

We definitely don't want to be spamming people -- or sending unnecessary emails for that matter -- so we'll definitely look into this and get it fixed as soon as we can.

Please be patient with us in the meantime, hopefully it won't take too long to sort out!

#12 DpakoH   Members   -  Reputation: 906

Posted 14 December 2012 - 05:28 AM

just to be clear, i am posting here to help you debug the problem, i am not impatient or anything :)

#13 jbadams   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 17285

Posted 14 December 2012 - 06:05 AM

Not a problem at all -- if anyone else is experiencing this problem please let us know as well -- more information may help us to find out what's going wrong. Posted Image

#14 Gaiiden   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 4648

Posted 15 December 2012 - 02:03 AM

I believe the following of a forum is intended. That's one way we track your involvement with the site to attempt to serve you content that matches your interest and stuff in certain areas of the site. Mike will have to confirm this.

What's not intended is having email notification enabled when you join a forum.

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

#15 Michael Tanczos   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 5147

Posted 15 December 2012 - 07:26 AM

Okay, I think I found the problem. Forum following notifications was turned on. This should be resolved now hopefully. The people this would have affected were people who were first-time posters in a particular forum.

What you'll have to do for now however is turn off forum notifications for each forum you don't want to receive notifications for however.

Edited by Michael Tanczos, 15 December 2012 - 07:27 AM.

#16 DpakoH   Members   -  Reputation: 906

Posted 16 December 2012 - 06:56 AM

Okay, I think I found the problem. Forum following notifications was turned on. This should be resolved now hopefully. The people this would have affected were people who were first-time posters in a particular forum.

What you'll have to do for now however is turn off forum notifications for each forum you don't want to receive notifications for however.

done, thanks for the solution

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS