• Create Account

? Accessing Computers Spell Checking Dictionary ?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
3 replies to this topic

#1 Poigahn   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 516

0Likes

Posted 09 December 2012 - 01:14 PM

I have created a simple Word Puzzle Game where the player creates words from 36 Random Letter Tiles. Everything Works , updates scores like it was designed. However, the game requires a spell checker in order to verify the spelling of a word that the player creates in order to be complete.

Currently, during testing, the player has to add each and every word to a list that maintained by the program. ( If the player has already entered the word they do not have to do it again )

How do I Utilize spell checker or any other Dictionary that might already exist on the Computer ?

Your Brain contains the Best Program Ever Written : Manage Your Data Wisely !!

Sponsor:

#2 SiCrane   Moderators   -  Reputation: 9337

0Likes

Posted 09 December 2012 - 01:22 PM

Accessing the any spell checkers on the computer would depend on what platform(s) your game is being made for. However, rather than do that, there are open source spell check libraries available such as hunspell.

#3 jwezorek   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1606

1Likes

Posted 09 December 2012 - 01:32 PM

How do I Utilize spell checker or any other Dictionary that might already exist on the Computer ?

As far as I know, there is no such built-in dictionary with an API exposed to applications on Windows or Macs that you can count on being there on user's systems. This isn't the way you would want do this sort of thing anyway because you want to be in charge of what counts as a legal word: MS Word's spell checker probably contains very common proper names that you wouldn't want to be legal in a word game.

If you want a dictionary you need to load a list of words. There are many word lists available for download in the public domain or with permissive licenses. Just google. I am working on a word game that uses a dictionary and I use the union of two word lists included in the Moby project, "113,809 official crosswords" and "4,160 official crosswords delta". If you read the documentation of the Moby project you will see that the union of these two files is pretty much what you want.

#4 MrDaaark   Members   -  Reputation: 3535

1Likes

Posted 09 December 2012 - 02:04 PM

A long time ago I made a small game that just used a long txt file full of words. To 'optimize' I just split them up by starting letter.

I wouldn't use a player's spell check dictionary. On an older PC I accidentally added a bunch of words like 'shoudl' from mis-clicking, making it completely useless for your purposes. It would break your game.

I forget where I got my list, but you can make your own by pasting the output of lots of word game sites into a long txt file, and then writing a simple program to take out any duplicates, or words longer than your game allow. http://www.listofwords.org/ or http://www.manythings.org/vocabulary/lists/l/ (bottom of page has lists by letter!)

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS