• Create Account

Returning points instead of triangles from the tessellation stage

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
1 reply to this topic

#1 safiullahhussaini   Members   -  Reputation: 129

0Likes

Posted 09 December 2012 - 07:51 PM

Again may be a rookie question, and I think I ve read about this somewhere in a book on Direct3D 11, but I just wanted to confirm.

Is it possible to stream out pointlist instead of triangle lists from the Tesselation stages (Hull and Domain Shaders) from a four control point list? And I dnt know if this is a valid question either or whether I should be asking it here, but how does OpenGL fare in this regard? I have heard from a friend that something like this is possible in OpenGL, so if it is, does the hardware support it? Is this a Direct3D limitation (for performance reasons or something)?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsor:

#2 MJP   Moderators   -  Reputation: 10550

0Likes

Posted 10 December 2012 - 01:21 PM

Well there certainly isn't a "point" domain for tessellation, because there would be nothing to tessellate. There's only "line", "triangle", and "quad". However if you use a geometry shader, you can take either a point, line, or triangle as input and output any of those primitive types.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS