• Create Account

We're offering banner ads on our site from just $5!

1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

Plane Assignment Program From Hell For A Very Bad Java Programmer

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 Rebel Coder   Members   -  Reputation: 158

0Likes

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:04 PM

Problem:
-Create a java program in which an airline can keep track of it's seating assignments.
-Using the InputDialog Method ask the user how many people will be coming aboard the plane.
- The plane consists of only 5 seats.
- Keep assigning people to the seats in the plane until all seats are filled.
-Once every seat is filled tell the user no more seats are avaiable.

Question:
Ok I have a simple question. How do I make it so that I can read the elements inside an array and if any one of them gets to or above 5 it stops letting me input numbers. For example, let's say I have 2 in index 0 and 3 in index 1, that makes 5 so I don't want to store anything more and when i go and input another number it doesn't let me. Another example, let's say index 0 holds the number 5 then it won't let me progress to index 1 because I already have the desired number which is 5. I hope that was pretty clear. This is for a plane assignment seating program with only 5 seats. This is what I have so far:

[source lang="java"]import javax.swing.JOptionPane;public class Seating { public static void main(String args[]) { int seatstaken = 0; int seats[] = new int [5]; do{ JOptionPane.showMessageDialog(null, "Welcome to Coqui Air!"); for ( int i= 0; i < seats.length; i ++){ seats[i] = Integer.parseInt(JOptionPane.showInputDialog("How many people will be traveling with you today?")); } for (int i = 0; i <seats.length; i++){ seatstaken += seats[i]; } }while(seatstaken <5); if (seatstaken > 5){ JOptionPane.showMessageDialog(null, "Plane full."); } } }[/source]

It's pretty terrible code, but I'm a beggining java programmer and my proffessor did not explain this subject of arrays at all, he just gave us a very brief example and it did not clear up my doubts whatsoever. Also in his example he uses a scanner for input, the problem requires that we use the JOptionPane user input method. Any help is appreciated as I have been trying to solve this since 4 pm my time.

Sponsor:

#2 ApochPiQ   Moderators   -  Reputation: 16378

3Likes

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:24 PM

Think about how you would solve this problem given only a sheet of paper and a pencil.

Once you have a clear idea of that, see if you can translate that into code, step by step.

#3 cyril98   Members   -  Reputation: 115

0Likes

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:40 PM

im not too skilled with java but why would you put the null value when your displaying text
usually when I display text i do this

string "hello user welcome to windows xp"

or i do this mind you i rarely do this

system.write "hello user" i think thats how it goes

but i do know how to create strings
but i do understand that this code your using is java mine is c#

#4 Rebel Coder   Members   -  Reputation: 158

0Likes

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:59 PM

yeah thanks man, but it's a different sintax so what you're saying does not apply but thanks anyways :(

#5 CryZe   Members   -  Reputation: 768

0Likes

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:12 AM

I think it could look like this, if I understood everything correctly (code untested):

[mod edit: removed code]

Edit: Oh, I'm sorry. Didn't read that it was homework :(

Edited by CryZe, 11 December 2012 - 08:38 AM.

#6 rip-off   Moderators   -  Reputation: 8667

0Likes

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:09 AM

Please do not post solutions to "homework" or "assignment" topics.

@Rebel Coder

ApochPiQ is correct. Remember when you're solving the problem yourself, you can and show forget about your currently implementation. I would also wonder if that is your complete assignment. Does your professor expect you to use an array in your solution?

Edited by rip-off, 11 December 2012 - 06:15 AM.

#7 SamLowry   Members   -  Reputation: 1670

0Likes

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:17 AM

Student aan de KHL?

#8 PsychotikRabbit   Members   -  Reputation: 171

0Likes

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:04 PM

[removed - ApochPiQ]

Edited by ApochPiQ, 11 December 2012 - 07:14 PM.

#9 ApochPiQ   Moderators   -  Reputation: 16378

0Likes

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:15 PM

We do not permit answering homework or assignment questions on these forums.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS