• Create Account

Topia Online - An MMORPG for game developers

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
11 replies to this topic

#1 JoshNet83   Members   -  Reputation: 137

Posted 11 December 2012 - 12:27 PM

I'm the lead developer of Topia Online, a massively multiplayer sandbox RPG. Everything in Topia Online can be programmed by the players using built-in editors. The engine itself will be licensed out to fellow indie developers so that they can create their own MMORPGs.

Our Kickstarter just went live as well:
http://www.kickstart...online?ref=live

Edited by JoshNet83, 11 December 2012 - 12:28 PM.

Sponsor:

#2 SuperVGA   Members   -  Reputation: 1118

Posted 11 December 2012 - 12:38 PM

Looks very promising! Kudos to Jenn, those sprites look amazing!

#3 JoshNet83   Members   -  Reputation: 137

Posted 11 December 2012 - 12:55 PM

Thank you so much! Im glad you think so, we've had a lot of trouble with people not preferring the sprites. ;-)

#4 DpakoH   Members   -  Reputation: 806

Posted 11 December 2012 - 01:36 PM

looks very nice, hope you guys reach the desired funding and finish the game!

#5 JoshNet83   Members   -  Reputation: 137

Posted 11 December 2012 - 01:50 PM

We sure hope so too. We're realizing how difficult it is to market this sort of game now, even to the indie community. Game development is hard!

#6 RellekWVU   Members   -  Reputation: 106

Posted 11 December 2012 - 10:23 PM

Hope you guys can pull this off. Very big undertaking but will be AMAZING if completed. Funding this for sure and will spread the word! Best of luck!

#7 Arale   Members   -  Reputation: 206

Posted 12 December 2012 - 05:38 AM

Wow, that's creative!

#8 superman3275   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1973

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:26 PM

The problem I see is that I, as a programmer, will come to your game terribly overpowered. I could instantly program in boss weapons and azng armor, etc. It'll be interesting to see how you handle this problem.

I'm a game programmer and computer science ninja ph34r.png!

Here's Breakout:
Breakout!

Want to ask about Python and / or Pygame? What about HTML5 / CSS3 / JavaScript? What about C++ and / or SFML 2 (and 1.6)? Recruiting for a game development team and need a passionate programmer? Just want to talk about programming? Email me here:

Superman3275@Gmail.com

or Personal-Message me on here smile.png!

#9 JoshNet83   Members   -  Reputation: 137

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:14 PM

Scripts execute within the context of your character, which means that your character must have the associated skills and resources to execute certain script commands. Therefore, you can't just code yourself 'god items' without having all the necessary prerequisites.

#10 black_darkness   Members   -  Reputation: 280

Posted 16 December 2012 - 01:08 AM

I got emotional watching the video. I really want to play this so bad. Great rewards. Thank you for making this game. I will be watching this project, and I hope it becomes a huge success.

#11 SuperVGA   Members   -  Reputation: 1118

Posted 19 December 2012 - 04:48 AM

The problem I see is that I, as a programmer, will come to your game terribly overpowered. I could instantly program in boss weapons and azng armor, etc. It'll be interesting to see how you handle this problem.

I've thought of this as well (for a general user-driven-content game-scenario) - Maybe there should be a quality assurance step? Either by picking n active users at random, add them to a testing stage with the item and let them rate it. They could be given gp and/or xp based on the time they've spent testing.
-Or a moderator could do the testing. Regardless, I think they should be tested by someone before being put inside the game world.

(Think of all the phalluses without QC!)

#12 JoshNet83   Members   -  Reputation: 137

Posted 21 December 2012 - 04:59 AM

Here's our brand new Kickstarter video, it should explain any questions you guys have:

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS