• Create Account

FREE SOFTWARE GIVEAWAY

We have 4 x Pro Licences (valued at $59 each) for 2d modular animation software Spriter to give away in this Thursday's GDNet Direct email newsletter.

Read more in this forum topic or make sure you're signed up (from the right-hand sidebar on the homepage) and read Thursday's newsletter to get in the running!

Audio Library suggestions

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
14 replies to this topic

#1 Khatharr   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3064

0Likes

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:35 PM

Hello.

I've been using irrKlang for some time now, but with continual bugs, strange behavior and a more or less unacceptable stance on memory management I'm looking for a replacement if I can find one that's not significantly more painful to use. (I'm done arguing with Gebhardt about ISoundSource management...)

If push comes to shove I could go back to using a libsndfile and some mp3 decoder, but I'd really prefer an all-in-one package with support for common formats (wav, mp3, ogg) if there's a free one poking around.

I'd really appreciate any suggestions. Posted Image
void hurrrrrrrr() {__asm sub [ebp+4],5;}

There are ten kinds of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't.

Sponsor:

#2 L. Spiro   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 14395

0Likes

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:13 PM

I don’t have a library to suggest but I should warn you about the use of MP3 decoders.
MPEG LA’s hobby is to sue people.

People who have used FFmpeg in commercial products have been sued.

Your only choice in playing MP3 files without buying a very expensive license is to use the operating system whenever built-in support is provided, for example on iOS.

L. Spiro
It is amazing how often people try to be unique, and yet they are always trying to make others be like them. - L. Spiro 2011
I spent most of my life learning the courage it takes to go out and get what I want. Now that I have it, I am not sure exactly what it is that I want. - L. Spiro 2013
I went to my local Subway once to find some guy yelling at the staff. When someone finally came to take my order and asked, “May I help you?”, I replied, “Yeah, I’ll have one asshole to go.”
L. Spiro Engine: http://lspiroengine.com
L. Spiro Engine Forums: http://lspiroengine.com/forums

#3 Khatharr   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3064

0Likes

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:45 PM

Ah, so they finally got around to asserting ownership. (What a crock.)

I guess that's a +1 for libsndfile then. I really hate implementing audio pipelines though. -.-

There are ten kinds of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't.

#4 PsychotikRabbit   Members   -  Reputation: 171

0Likes

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:50 PM

I used FMOD library before, it's simple and there is doc and tutorial about it. http://www.fmod.org/fmod-downloads.html

#5 Xaer0   Members   -  Reputation: 592

1Likes

Posted 11 December 2012 - 11:57 PM

SFML has a really handy Audio module, If you dont want to use the rest of it, you only have to link to the audio lib,
supports .wav and ogg (maybe more but im not sure, I've only ever used those two)

The API is also very simple, something along the lines of,
[source lang="cpp"]///make a soundbuffer, make sure to keep it in memory as long as you need the sound///this stores the raw sound datasf::SoundBuffer buffer;if (!buffer.loadFromFile("sound.wav")) return -1;sf::Sound sound;sound.setBuffer(buffer);sound.play();[/source]
For music, you should probably use the sf::Music class because it streams the sound in from the file,
instead of loading it all into memory

[source lang="cpp"]sf::Music music;///No buffer this timeif (!music.openFromFile("music.ogg")) return -1; // errormusic.play();[/source]

I believe SFML uses the unrestrictive MIT license as well, so its free, which is nicePosted Image

Edited by Xaer0, 12 December 2012 - 01:54 AM.

-Jawshttp://uploading.com/files/eff2c24d/TGEpre.zip/

#6 DarkRonin   Members   -  Reputation: 616

1Likes

Posted 12 December 2012 - 12:26 AM

What platform and language are you using?

#7 solenoidz   Members   -  Reputation: 531

2Likes

Posted 12 December 2012 - 12:47 AM

I would suggest OpenAL + ogg/vorbis instead of mp3.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but this combination is proven to work and is free to use.

#8 L. Spiro   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 14395

0Likes

Posted 12 December 2012 - 04:12 AM

I would suggest OpenAL + ogg/vorbis instead of mp3.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but this combination is proven to work and is free to use.

This is the combination I use in my engine for this reason.
However he prefers not to build a sound engine from scratch—Vorbis may provide tools for decoding .OGG files but you still have to make the system for sending them to OpenAL and playing them manually.

L. Spiro
It is amazing how often people try to be unique, and yet they are always trying to make others be like them. - L. Spiro 2011
I spent most of my life learning the courage it takes to go out and get what I want. Now that I have it, I am not sure exactly what it is that I want. - L. Spiro 2013
I went to my local Subway once to find some guy yelling at the staff. When someone finally came to take my order and asked, “May I help you?”, I replied, “Yeah, I’ll have one asshole to go.”
L. Spiro Engine: http://lspiroengine.com
L. Spiro Engine Forums: http://lspiroengine.com/forums

#9 Khatharr   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3064

0Likes

Posted 12 December 2012 - 05:36 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll check them out. :)

#10 X-Shiryu   Members   -  Reputation: 120

0Likes

Posted 12 December 2012 - 12:17 PM

Its Worths using OpenAL, yet? Creative web site is broken, no more updates.
I can't even download OpenAL SDK anymore.
For Windows OS i'm using XAudio2, but i need an alternate audio library, too.

OpenAL its free to use? I couldn't find the license on creative web site. Should worry about it?

#11 Khatharr   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3064

0Likes

Posted 12 December 2012 - 05:36 PM

It's free to use. The License is embedded in the documentation.

http://connect.creat...s/AllItems.aspx

Edited by Khatharr, 12 December 2012 - 05:37 PM.

#12 X-Shiryu   Members   -  Reputation: 120

0Likes

Posted 28 December 2012 - 07:27 AM

The OpenAL License must be distributed along with final application?

#13 Khatharr   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3064

0Likes

Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:03 PM

That's not uncommon. They just want you to drop the text file in there somewhere so people don't think you invented OpenAL.

Edited by Khatharr, 28 December 2012 - 09:04 PM.

#14 nixius   Members   -  Reputation: 128

0Likes

Posted 30 December 2012 - 10:43 AM

OpenAL is widely used but I found it quite difficult if you just want to use it in a simple way (i.e. simple BGM and sfx).

I used FMod before and it is a delight to use, but I used it in a non-commercial project so it was free. If you can afford it I would say 100% FMOD.

Isn't there an SDL audio library of some description? Not sure how relevant or useful that will be but perhaps worth a quick look?

Edited by nixius, 30 December 2012 - 10:43 AM.

#15 Khatharr   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3064

0Likes

Posted 30 December 2012 - 03:59 PM

I ended up with FMOD, yeah. It's really nice and does what I want without being intrusive or annoying.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS