• Create Account

Deciding when packets are dropped

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
12 replies to this topic

#1 Gumgo   Members   -  Reputation: 876

0Likes

Posted 12 December 2012 - 04:30 PM

I've implemented a system on top of UDP similar to the one described here. I have the system working well, and now I'm trying to add some "higher level functionality" on top of it to make it easier to do things like send guaranteed messages. I have a few questions about how dropped packets are handled. (Sorry they're a bit lengthy, but network code has lots of subtle issues that can be hard to explain!)

1) First of all, what is the best approach to detect likely dropped packets? The article's suggestion is basically the following: if a packet can't be ACKed anymore (i.e. the ACK bitfield window has moved past that packet), it's probably been dropped. So for example, suppose packets are being sent at a rate of 30 per second and the ACK bitfield contains 30 ACKs. If you send packet A at time t = 1, it will take about 1 second to receive ACKs for the last 30 packets. If packet A is never ACKed in this 1 second, it can NEVER be ACKed (the ACK bitfield window no longer contains packet A), so A should be considered dropped.

But this seems weird to me. If you were sending packets at a rate of 10 per second and the ACK bitfield was still 30 long, it would take 3 seconds for packet A to fall off the ACK bitfield. But 3 seconds seems too long to wait for detecting dropped packets. Or if you were sending packets at a rate of 60 per second and the ACK bitfield was 30 long, packet A would only be on the bitfield for 0.5 seconds.

The article doesn't mention using RTT to determine dropped packets, but that seems like a better indicator to me. Obviously if a packet is no longer in the ACK bitfield window it should be dropped (since it CANNOT be ACKed), but maybe the additional criteria of, say, a maximum ACK time of RTT*2 should be included as well? How is this usually done?

2) When you detect a packet that's likely dropped, how is that usually treated? I can see two options here:
a) Decide that the packet IS dropped and ignore it, even if it comes in later
b) If the packet comes in later, still process it
Obviously, option a) could be more wasteful, since once you've decided that a packet is dropped, you can't ever "change your mind" upon receiving an ACK. However, the reason I'm considering it is that it simplifies things a lot.

For example, suppose you send guaranteed message M in packet A, and after RTT*2 (or whatever your criteria is), you haven't received an ACK and decide it's probably dropped. You then resend M in packet B. If you go with option a), you can forget all about packet A and you only need to wait for an ACK from packet B. The downside is that if you end up receiving an ACK for packet A after you've determined it's been dropped, you can't actually use this ACK. A potential issue I see with this is if the RTT suddenly jumps up a lot, you might go through a brief period where you decide a bunch of packets are dropped when in reality they're just a bit more delayed. This would occur until the dropped packet cutoff time is adjusted to take the new RTT into account. I'm also not sure how this would work with network jitter - if there was high jitter then I guess more packets would be considered dropped.

But if you go with option b), it's still possible that you could receive an ACK for packet A! So the issue described above wouldn't occur, and you'd have the ACK information available sooner than if you waited for packet B's ACK. But in order to respond in this case, you'd need to keep some information for packet A around; i.e. you'll need to store "message M is pending in both packet A and packet B"; for each guaranteed message M, you need to store a list of packets it's been sent in, rather than just a single packet (the most recent one). You don't want this list to grow forever though, so you need to eventually "forget" about old packets, and deciding when to do this isn't exactly clear.

Right now what I'm doing is keeping track of each packet containing guaranteed messages until all guaranteed message in that packet have been ACKed. So for example, message M has a reference to packets A and B, and packets A and B have references to message M. If B is successfully ACKed, I notice that B contains M, and so I remove M from both A and B, and now I notice that A is empty, so I free A. But this just seems... "messy" and somewhat unbounded. If there are unexpected network issues and I end up resending message M several times, I'd suddenly be keeping track of a lot of old packets which probably didn't get though. And the worst case is if a (virtual) connection is dropped - if I have a 10 second timeout and a bunch of packets containing M never get through, I'd have to keep track of 10 seconds worth of resent packets until the connection timeout is detected!

Does anyone have a suggestion on this issue? To summarize: when a packet is likely dropped, should I a) decide that it IS dropped, or b) still allow it to change its status to "delivered" if it's ACKed at a later time?

Sponsor:

#2 radioteeth   Prime Members   -  Reputation: 918

0Likes

Posted 12 December 2012 - 05:53 PM

even though you are utilizing UDP, and packets aren't going to reliably arrive in-order, you could do a simple check comparing packet IDs..

so say, for instance, that you just received packet #10, the next one you receive is #12... now either 11 was dropped, or it is just a little late.. if the next packet is #13, then the chances that #11 was dropped increase dramatically, and it will continue to do so with each successive packet received that isn't #11. basically, you would be using an "out-of-order tolerance" of say 3-5 packets, instead of a time-based dimension of packet-loss determination that relies on the acking setup that's in place..

#3 hplus0603   Moderators   -  Reputation: 4978

2Likes

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:23 PM

I use a much simpler mechanism.

Each packet has a sequence number. This is just a byte that increments and wraps over.
If I receive a new packet in the range [last received+1 , last received + 127] inclusive then I treat that as a new packet, and treat every packet between the previously last received and new last received as dropped.
If I receive a packet in the range [last received - 128, last received] inclusive, then I treat it as a late/duplicate packet, and simply drop it on the floor.

On the other end, I ack all packets I receive using a simple bit packing scheme. If I send some number of packets (say, 60,) without getting a single ack back, I treat the remote end as dead, and shut down. I also always send packets at a fixed rate -- say, 5 per second when there's nothing to send (other than acks,) and 20 per second while game is playing.

enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };

#4 Gumgo   Members   -  Reputation: 876

0Likes

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:45 PM

Thanks for the replies. From your posts, it sounds like UDP "isn't as bad" as I had expected. I was under the impression that packets are out of order and delayed fairly regularly. But hplus0603, if you're simply dropping packets any time they come late and it hasn't been an issue, then that probably doesn't happen too often. I know the answer is probably dependent on a lot of things, but about how often do issues such as out of order/dropped packets occur with UDP under a regular network load?

#5 VildNinja   Members   -  Reputation: 420

0Likes

Posted 12 December 2012 - 07:09 PM

Thanks for the replies. From your posts, it sounds like UDP "isn't as bad" as I had expected. I was under the impression that packets are out of order and delayed fairly regularly. But hplus0603, if you're simply dropping packets any time they come late and it hasn't been an issue, then that probably doesn't happen too often. I know the answer is probably dependent on a lot of things, but about how often do issues such as out of order/dropped packets occur with UDP under a regular network load?

At the bottom line it all comes down to good and bad connections. Like UDP TCP is also based on packages going from A to B, which means that if the packages don't get there both UDP and TCP will run poorly. The only difference being that TCP tells you if packages doesn't arrive at all.

I did a small very unscientific test from my laptop on the shitty less than well implemented wireless at my university in Denmark to my old virtual server in Germany. I send 100 packages each with four bytes. From me to my server all packages arrived perfectly in order every time (I think I tested 5-8 times) while on the way back there were always one or two that came in out of order. None of the packages where lost in any of the tests. While this is (as said) not scientific at all, it still gives a good indication, that on a someway good connection UDP works just fine :)

I would recommend hplus0603's way of doing it :)
Also I got some help regarding kind of the same topic in this thread http://www.gamedev.net/topic/624187-mixing-reliable-and-unreliable-messages/ maybe you can pickup some useful tips from it as well.

#6 hplus0603   Moderators   -  Reputation: 4978

0Likes

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:57 AM

Some circuits let you send a billion UDP packets without a single loss. Others will lose up to 20% of your packets.

The point is: With UDP, you want to quickly and proactively declare failure where there is not success. Late data is as bad as no data at all. If that weren't the case, you would be using TCP.

The upper level of the UDP system will have to deal with re-transmitting reliable messages where needed, and doing whatever it does for non-reliable (typically, "last state") messages like user input. And, yes, this may mean that a user on a very poor (typically wireless, like mobile or microwave link) connection will get more server corrections than a user with a nice wired connection. Life is not fair :-)

#7 VReality   Members   -  Reputation: 434

0Likes

Posted 13 December 2012 - 03:07 PM

Last time I implemented a reliability layer, I included in each outgoing packet the "largest" sequence number received and a bit pattern representing Acks and NAcks for the X preceding packets (this redundantly Acks/NAcks incoming packets, since these outgoing packets could get dropped as well).

Just like in other posters' schemes, as soon as a NAck was received, the packet was considered dropped and was resent.

Time-outs were only used to declare connections broken.

It should be noted that this approach is intended for low bandwidth data and quick response times. If you were making a scheme for downloading large amounts of data, you would want to take a different approach which was more careful to no re-send prematurely.

#8 hplus0603   Moderators   -  Reputation: 4978

0Likes

Posted 13 December 2012 - 04:05 PM

I included in each outgoing packet the "largest" sequence number received and a bit pattern representing Acks and NAcks for the X preceding packets

Ditto!

the packet was considered dropped and was resent

A single UDP packet generally contains a number of messages, some of which are reliable, and some of which are not. The ideal implementation will just re-schedule the reliable messages that were dropped for the next outgoing packet.

#9 VReality   Members   -  Reputation: 434

0Likes

Posted 13 December 2012 - 04:22 PM

A single UDP packet generally contains a number of messages, some of which are reliable, and some of which are not. The ideal implementation will just re-schedule the reliable messages that were dropped for the next outgoing packet.

In this case we would need some further reliability infrastructure at the "message" level. That is, we would need to buffer out-of-order messages until dropped messages arrive, and we would need to reject message duplicates in the instance that the original "dropped" packet eventually makes its way across the wire.

#10 swiftcoder   Senior Moderators   -  Reputation: 9637

2Likes

Posted 13 December 2012 - 04:43 PM

I did a small very unscientific test from my laptop on the shitty less than well implemented wireless at my university in Denmark to my old virtual server in Germany. I send 100 packages each with four bytes. From me to my server all packages arrived perfectly in order every time (I think I tested 5-8 times) while on the way back there were always one or two that came in out of order. None of the packages where lost in any of the tests. While this is (as said) not scientific at all, it still gives a good indication, that on a someway good connection UDP works just fine Posted Image

Anecdotally, in our networks course in university, our professor had us write a UDP-based file transfer utility, and test it over a variety of networks. Even streaming between cable connections on opposite coasts, I had a hard time achieving 2% packet loss, unless I was overloading the local wifi/router.

TL;DR - by and large, packet loss is a lot less of a problem than it once was.

Tristam MacDonald - Software Engineer @Amazon - [swiftcoding]

#11 hplus0603   Moderators   -  Reputation: 4978

1Likes

Posted 13 December 2012 - 08:38 PM

In this case we would need some further reliability infrastructure at the "message" level. That is, we would need to buffer out-of-order messages until dropped messages arrive, and we would need to reject message duplicates in the instance that the original "dropped" packet eventually makes its way across the wire.

Yes, absolutely!

This is why there's typically several classes of delivery guarantee across different logical channels over a physical UDP connection:

- maybe delievered, maybe duplicated, maybe out of order -- implementation is to just deliver as soon as a packet comes in (this is least useful)
- maybe delivered, not duplicated, not out of order -- delivered assuming the incoming packet is later than the previous incoming packet (this is most useful)
- guaranteed delivery, not duplicated, maybe out of order -- each guaranteed message is delivered when the packet shows up, but de-duplicated if there's re-sends (lost acks)
- guaranteed delivery, not duplicated, not out of order -- this is similar to TCP, and requires the most buffering and state management

Only the last reliability type requires buffering actual messages on the receiving end; the others can make delivery decisions based only on sequence numbers (and, for the case of reliable, per-channel sequence numbers.)
Also, with reliable channels, you typically keep the reliability information on a per-message-channel basis, rather than a per-packet-stream basis.

#12 Gumgo   Members   -  Reputation: 876

0Likes

Posted 22 December 2012 - 05:05 PM

Thanks, this information has been very helpful! I ended up going with hplus0603's method and just dropping packets which come out of order, and resending the moment I detect the missing ACK - greatly simplifies things.

On the topic of reliability/ordering of messages, I had a thought today. This would probably have way too much overhead/be impractical, but have any games implemented a dependency graph for message ordering, rather than simply an ordered stream? An approach might work somewhat as follows:
- Each message would have an ID (probably 2 bytes, maybe with some upper bits being used as flags)
- Each message would be sent with a list of IDs it depends on (this would be the overhead-y part!)
- When messages are received, their dependency graph is evaluated, and they are only executed after all dependencies have been executed
- When the sender determines that all messages that a message is dependent on have been processed, the dependencies are removed to reduce dependency list length. To do this, examine incoming ACKs and figure out which messages must have been executed.

Example of why the last point is important: suppose you spawn an enemy and then much later it gets killed. The "enemy killed" message should be dependent on the "enemy spawned" message, but in order for that to work the receiver needs to keep track of the "enemy spawned" message for a long time! But if you can confirm using ACKs that the "enemy spawned" message was already executed, you can just forget about it. And if you hang onto dependencies for a long time, you'll have issues when the 2-byte message IDs wrap around.

This is just the more general extension of having multiple message channels each with independent ordering. Of course, the cost is probably extremely high. Anyone done something like this before?

#13 hplus0603   Moderators   -  Reputation: 4978

0Likes

Posted 22 December 2012 - 08:12 PM

That's an interesting idea, and I have not seen it done before. I wonder how different in practice it would be compared to a per-channel ordering dependency.

Implement it and ship a large game and then let us know how it turns out :-)

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS