I feel paranoid about taking programming/CS classes

Started by
15 comments, last by Anri 11 years, 4 months ago
Okay heres the story. I was a computer science major(not anymore). So last spring i decided to take a c++ class after I was done with my intro to CS class. That class gave me the most stress I ever had from a class. I was forced to drop it since I simply could not keep up at the speed of light the teacher was going. So i decided to program in my own time ever since then and find out how to program games. Fall semester came and I could have taken the class again but I chickened out cause I just didnt want to go through that horrible event again. Now spring is coming up again and I have can take it again and do a minor in CS but im still afraid despite nearly a year of c++ experience. Has anyone ever felt like this about school? I just cant seem to get over it, despite glossing over the syllabus and thinking "Man, i know all of that now"...
Advertisement
Try doing everything the opposite of the way you originally acted the first time you took the class. If you can sit right in the front row, get to class a bit earlier than the other students so you can talk to the professor, ask every single question you have without fear or embarassment (you are paying for the classes right?).
That is the fear of failure and it is not just limited to school. You just have to get over it. Just look what was the result when you failed the last time. You learned that stuff anyway and you can just retake the course. You lost almost nothing.
i know what you guys are saying but man that was a bad semester for me. The day realized I wasn't going to make it in the class, I just came home and just sat down depressed about the future. That just killed me there. I was like "man well there's nothing else for me to do, might as well pick up my fathers trade and do accounting" . So I just switched and turned CS into a hobby knowing even if I were to pass this class , I wouldn't know what was gonna happen in the harder classes yet to come. Then today the thought fame into my head " hey why not at least minor in it? Maybe we can get a CS degree later in life"
Lol I even sneaked onto the teachers webpage and completed all the projects, yet I just cant get over it and take the class. Its like that day keeps on repeating in myy mind.
Do you need to go to that class? I mean, I dunno how it works for you but here in the uni i am attending to you don't need to assist to some courses, you can just show up for the exams (something I don't do because i rack ze disiprin!) .

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

That is the fear of failure and it is not just limited to school.

I second this.

ISD try working out and stick to an exercise routine, the reason I say this is because after a work out not only will you feel more confident your old negative feelings will be slowly dying, it may sound stupid at first but a regular exercise regime has proven to boost mental health, make people confident and happy in addition to all the other benefits.
This will sound a little strange, but it works.

Imagine attending that class again in vivid detail, but change things so they're a positive experience for you this time.

You probably won't be able to do it all at once, so keep working on it twice a day (after you get up and right before bed) until you've changed every negative experience about that class to a positive one. You'll start feeling the fear and tension ease.

Remember this ... fear is like fog. It looks solid when you're standing outside of it, but you can just walk right through it. Good luck!

Roy
Northwest Arkansas Game Developer Group
Live in Fayetteville, Springdale, Bentonville, or Rogers?
Interested in making video games and having fun?
Check us out on Meetup.

i know what you guys are saying but man that was a bad semester for me. The day realized I wasn't going to make it in the class, I just came home and just sat down depressed about the future. That just killed me there. I was like "man well there's nothing else for me to do, might as well pick up my fathers trade and do accounting" . So I just switched and turned CS into a hobby knowing even if I were to pass this class , I wouldn't know what was gonna happen in the harder classes yet to come. Then today the thought fame into my head " hey why not at least minor in it? Maybe we can get a CS degree later in life"
You can't expect to know ahead of time how difficult a given thing is to learn since you aren't yet familiar with it.
Neither can you know ahead of time if you are going to be in good health, good mood and otherwise able to study at a certain pace.
For those reasons, you should expect to fail now and then. If you never fail, you are probably not working anywhere near your capacity.

In my university it's routine for many people to take more classes than they can handle at a given time, fail/quit those which they can't handle, and try again later (now armed with a better idea of how much work the subject is, too). There's no shame in it. If your school doesn't penalize you for failing courses, don't worry about it.
Well, the way I see it you can't do worse than last time, right? Even if you know it felt horrible and you were all depressed, you still moved on afterwards, right? Otherwise you wouldn't consider doing the course again.

I've been studying at a university for 3 ½ years now, and I can tell you that I have failed a lot of courses. A lot. All I need to do is buckle up, retake the course with the mindset that it can't be worse than failing again. Since I already can handle the failure, since I've failed before, retaking the course will only make it a better experience than last time.

Go for it, there are plenty of times in life where you will fail and have to try again, and again, and again and maybe even again until you finally are successful.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement