• Create Account

Isometric Collision Detection

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
1 reply to this topic

#1 sultanofswing.90   Members   -  Reputation: 111

0Likes

Posted 13 December 2012 - 06:51 AM

Hello,

I'm developing a collision system for my little isometric engine. I have a PlayerEntity Class with a property

[source lang="csharp"]/// <summary> /// Get or set the position of this entity /// </summary> public Vector2 Location { get { return _location; } set { _location = value; Rectangle = new Rectangle( (int)value.X, (int)value.Y, Rectangle.Width, Rectangle.Height ); if( Fixture != null ) Fixture.Location = value; } } private Vector2 _location;[/source]

The rectangle field doesn't need any explanation. Well, what is a fixture? the Fixture is a Class needed for collision detection. Every fixture has his shape, for example

[source lang="csharp"]public enum FixtureShape { Rectangle, Circle, Rhomb, MouseMap, None }[/source]
For example, Posted Image here the violet circle is the fixture for the player entity. For other shapes is similiar. If mouse map is choosen, the texture is thresholded and for every pixel with an alpha value different from zero, that pixel is set to black. Well, for collision detection i use per pixel collision algorithm, for now i use that from microsoft sample. Here's the function

[source lang="csharp"]public bool CheckCollision( Fixture f ) { Rectangle f2Rect = f.Rectangle; Color[] f2Data = f.FixtureData; // Find the bounds of the rectangle intersection int top = Math.Max( Rectangle.Top, f2Rect.Top ); int bottom = Math.Min( Rectangle.Bottom, f2Rect.Bottom ); int left = Math.Max( Rectangle.Left, f2Rect.Left ); int right = Math.Min( Rectangle.Right, f2Rect.Right ); // Check every point within the intersection bounds for( int y = top; y < bottom; y++ ) { for( int x = left; x < right; x++ ) { // Get the color of both pixels at this point Color colorA = FixtureData[ ( x - Rectangle.Left ) + ( y - Rectangle.Top ) * Rectangle.Width ]; Color colorB = f2Data[ ( x - f2Rect.Left ) + ( y - f2Rect.Top ) * f2Rect.Width ]; // If both pixels are not completely transparent, if( colorA.A != 0 && colorB.A != 0 ) { // then an intersection has been found return true; } } } // No intersection found return false; }[/source]

And here's how i use it. I have a list of fixtures that are currently in the visible part of the screen, viewedFixtures. Here's the function where i check collision between objects and player

[source lang="csharp"]public bool IsPlayerColliding( List<Fixture> viewedFixtures, Vector2 MoveDirection ) { if( PlayerFixture == null ) return false; //take a clone of player fixture Fixture t = (Fixture)PlayerFixture.Clone(); t.Location += MoveDirection; foreach( Fixture f in viewedFixtures ) { if( t.CheckCollision( f ) ) //there's a collision return true; } return false; }[/source]

what i do here is checking for collision between the player fixture, moved along the direction the user choosed, and the near fixtures, and this is the function that let the user to move the player in the map:

[source lang="csharp"]public void MovePlayer( Vector2 moveDirection ) { if( Player == null ) return; if( !CollisionSystem.IsPlayerColliding( Map.ViewedFixtures, moveDirection ) ) { Player.Location += moveDirection; } }[/source]
here, if the fixture in the new location is not colliding, finally move the player and the player fixture along the choosed direction. Finally, here's the update method of the game source:

[source lang="csharp"]/// <summary> /// Allows the game to run logic such as updating the world, /// checking for collisions, gathering input, and playing audio. /// </summary> /// <param name="gameTime">Provides a snapshot of timing values.</param> protected override void Update( GameTime gameTime ) { // Allows the game to exit if( GamePad.GetState( PlayerIndex.One ).Buttons.Back == Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Input.ButtonState.Pressed ) this.Exit(); GamePadState padState = GamePad.GetState( PlayerIndex.One ); Vector2 MoveDirection = Vector2.Zero; #region Movement section #region North-west if( padState.DPad.Left == Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Input.ButtonState.Pressed && padState.DPad.Up == Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Input.ButtonState.Pressed ) { MoveDirection = new Vector2( -2, -1 ); } else #endregion North-west #region North-east if( padState.DPad.Right == Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Input.ButtonState.Pressed && padState.DPad.Up == Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Input.ButtonState.Pressed ) { MoveDirection = new Vector2( 2, -1 ); } #endregion North-east #region South-west else if( padState.DPad.Left == Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Input.ButtonState.Pressed && padState.DPad.Down == Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Input.ButtonState.Pressed ) { MoveDirection = new Vector2( -2, 1 ); } #endregion South-west #region South-east else if( padState.DPad.Right == Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Input.ButtonState.Pressed && padState.DPad.Down == Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Input.ButtonState.Pressed ) { MoveDirection = new Vector2( 2, 1 ); } #endregion South-east #region North else if( padState.DPad.Up == Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Input.ButtonState.Pressed ) { MoveDirection = new Vector2( 0, -1 ); } #endregion North #region South else if( padState.DPad.Down == Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Input.ButtonState.Pressed ) { MoveDirection = new Vector2( 0, 1 ); } #endregion South #region West else if( padState.DPad.Left == Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Input.ButtonState.Pressed ) { MoveDirection = new Vector2( -2, 0 ); } #endregion West #region East else if( padState.DPad.Right == Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Input.ButtonState.Pressed ) { MoveDirection = new Vector2( 2, 0 ); } #endregion East #endregion Movement section if( MoveDirection != Vector2.Zero ) world.MovePlayer( MoveDirection ); base.Update( gameTime ); }[/source]
Ok. There's a problem but i can't find it. Here's some screenshot:

Posted Image

Posted Image

The problem is that the fixture go 'inside' the other fixture...anyone has a suggestion? (sorry for my bad english)

Thanks,
bye

Sponsor:

#2 Gavin Williams   Members   -  Reputation: 776

0Likes

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:52 PM

Sultan,

I'm wondering if that is even a problem for your code. You have both bounding shape collision and pixel collision. Although the bounding shape collision in both those images shows true, the pixel collision shows false. So these images don't necessarily show an invalid state. The bounding shape collision detection should just be a rough grade detection phase that won't always result in a collision once the finer collision detect (pixel-wise) process is complete.

I'm not 100% up on your code, so I'm just having a stab after first reading. What do you reckon ?

Edited by Gavin Williams, 13 December 2012 - 09:54 PM.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS