• Create Account

So, windows 8?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
100 replies to this topic

Poll: Opinion on Windows 8? (112 member(s) have cast votes)

Opinion on Windows 8?

1. Like (47 votes [41.96%])

Percentage of vote: 41.96%

2. Dislike (65 votes [58.04%])

Percentage of vote: 58.04%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#81 Sik_the_hedgehog   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1833

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:36 AM

there are some new standard Win+key shortcuts for use inside apps (Win+Z brings up the toolbar that appears when you swipe the top/bottom edge and Win+I brings up the settings bar that appears if when you swipe the right edge, though these can also be invoked by hovering the mouse to the right edge of the screen or right clicking).

After 2 decades, Microsoft finally realises that combining the CTRL and META keys was a horrible idea? Now if only Linux distros would realise this too...

And not break shortcuts either... (I'm still trying to figure out why Alt+Tab broke when I installed Ubuntu 12.04, the shortcut is in fact assigned, for the record)

Don't pay much attention to "the hedgehog" in my nick, it's just because "Sik" was already taken =/ By the way, Sik is pronounced like seek, not like sick.

Sponsor:

#82 FLeBlanc   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3117

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:43 AM

I find it hilarious how many people say what amounts to "I don't use Metro at all." And they don't see anything wrong with Metro being shipped with their system. If it's just useless bloody cruft, why is it there?

Why is multiple modes a bad thing? Microsoft essentially gave users the same old mode and a mode that lets them not totally destroy their computer by accident. I don't get the tech support cynicism of it. It's a huge step forward from a tech support perspective.

>Whatever happened to people being discerning and conscientious about what gets installed on their systems, instead of swallowing whatever useless tripe Microsoft wants to pump into them? When did useless bloat suddenly become okay?

When were people ever discerning and concientious about what got installed on their systems? That's part of the problem that Metro solves. It's less useful for power users, but it's tremendously useful for the average user, which is nowhere near to anyone on this forum. The average user doesn't care about the control panel; the average user cares about a secure browser, a secure email client, and being able to install programs without fear of the computer becoming disfunctional. Metro delivers that experience without sacrificing the desktop. By most metrics, desktop is the useless bloat and metro is the useful mode. For power users it's the opposite, but don't mistake them(yourself) for the majority of users.

So you're saying that whether you're a power-user or not, either way you're getting useless bloat. And this is somehow magically okay? Interesting...

#83 way2lazy2care   Members   -  Reputation: 782

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:28 PM

So you're saying that whether you're a power-user or not, either way you're getting useless bloat.

I was using 'useless bloat' as repetition of your terminology. I don't find it useless at all. I use it less than desktop, but I still find it more useful than a lot of the 'useless bloat' I have on my computer. On my home desktop I will probably use it more than VS or any game in the long run, but they already take up more space on the harddrive than the operating system; I don't consider any of them particularly useless, but if we're going to define 'useless bloat' as 'stuff I'd use infrequently' most of my computer is 'useless bloat'

And this is somehow magically okay?

Why should anyone be upset about getting more with their OS? "I ONLY BOUGHT A CAR! WHY DO YOU THINK GIVING ME HEATED SEATS FOR FREE IS OK?! And my manual comes on an iPad?! If I wanted an iPad wouldn't you think I'd just buy an iPad instead of a car?!" "I just wanted a pizza! Why on earth would I want free garlic fingers too?!" "Why would I want to play Blu-Rays/DVDs on my PS3/360? It's a game console not a video player!"

#84 swiftcoder   Senior Moderators   -  Reputation: 10371

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:39 PM

Why should anyone be upset about getting more with their OS?

It's not about getting more with my OS, it's about getting more than one OS bolted together.

If my new MacBook had arrived with iOS bolted onto the front, I'd have been equally miffed. Instead, Apple took a bunch of awesome UI improvements from iOS, and merged them seamlessly into their desktop operating system...

"I just wanted a pizza! Why on earth would I want free garlic fingers too?!" "Why would I want to play Blu-Rays/DVDs on my PS3/360? It's a game console not a video player!"

A free copy of Microsoft Office is awesome added-value, in exactly the way that a preinstalled copy of McAffee isn't.

Not all features add value (or perhaps more politically correct: they don't add value for everyone).

Tristam MacDonald - Software Engineer @Amazon - [swiftcoding]

#85 way2lazy2care   Members   -  Reputation: 782

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:35 PM

A free copy of Microsoft Office is awesome added-value, in exactly the way that a preinstalled copy of McAffee isn't.

Not all features add value (or perhaps more politically correct: they don't add value for everyone).

By 'getting more' I am not meaning just getting more than one thing. As I said before, Metro doesn't take away from the desktop experience; it arguably doesn't add to it. I don't see why people get so upset about something that doesn't hurt their experience being included in a product. It has, at worst, a neutral impact on user experience. The negative impression it gets for offerring worst-case neutral benefit seems totally disproportionate to me.

If my new MacBook had arrived with iOS bolted onto the front, I'd have been equally miffed. Instead, Apple took a bunch of awesome UI improvements from iOS, and merged them seamlessly into their desktop operating system...

iOS isn't as different from any desktop OS UI-wise. Standard sized square icons aligned on a grid is nothing exceptionally new. Icons look a little prettier and it has UI optimizations because the screens are <50% the size of a normal monitor and you need buttons the size of a finger not a cursor. You could make a strong case that the UI between iOS and MacOS (and even windows) is more similar than between Metro and WP8.

Edited by way2lazy2care, 04 February 2013 - 01:35 PM.

#86 swiftcoder   Senior Moderators   -  Reputation: 10371

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:57 PM

iOS isn't as different from any desktop OS UI-wise.

I sense that we have very different definitions of either the phrase "desktop", or the phrase "UI".

You don't consider fullscreen one-at-a-time apps to be a different paradigm than multiple user-placeable windows?

#87 way2lazy2care   Members   -  Reputation: 782

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:09 PM

iOS isn't as different from any desktop OS UI-wise.

I sense that we have very different definitions of either the phrase "desktop", or the phrase "UI".

You don't consider fullscreen one-at-a-time apps to be a different paradigm than multiple user-placeable windows?

I think it's because I generally run most of my apps in one of the snappable positions most of the time that I take it for granted. I'd consider that a legitimate complaint/difference, but I would consider a problem with a mode distinctly different from a problem with the nature of being multi-modal.

#88 Jacob Jingle   Members   -  Reputation: 223

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:05 PM

DLNA seems to be downgraded in win 8! :o

It's so bad that I've kept win 7 installed just so I can use it instead. It's just horrible.

#89 swiftcoder   Senior Moderators   -  Reputation: 10371

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:23 PM

I would consider a problem with a mode distinctly different from a problem with the nature of being multi-modal

So, this is my problem: Windows 8 is continuously and inconsistently multi-modal. You have a handful of apps that run in Metro, and a handful that run in Desktop. You can't ever see both on screen at once (unless you have multiple monitors), but have to toggle between them.

On my Mac I also have shiny-new fullscreen tablet-inspired apps. But on my Mac, I can choose whether to put them in fullscreen or not, and pretty much all applications support the new fullscreen mode.

Even worse, if you want to adapt your app to run in the shiny new fullscreen metaphor, you can't ship them without going through Microsoft's approval process. That's a paradigm that may have worked well for Apple in the mobile space, but they didn't really attempt to enforce that on the Desktop - many of my favourite apps aren't even adaptable to the guidelines in a meaningful way.

#90 amagdic1   Members   -  Reputation: 128

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:50 PM

Looks ok on Phone/Tablet. From mobile indie developer perspective i see it as opportunity.

Executive producer at http://simosgames.com

Currently working on Tablet & mobile strategy game Warlords RTS: Clash of Thrones. http://facebook.com/WarlordsRTS

#91 FLeBlanc   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3117

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:39 PM

Looks ok on Phone/Tablet. From mobile indie developer perspective i see it as opportunity.

Ding, we have a winner. Because what's good for the tablet is fantabulous for the desktop, amirite?

#92 way2lazy2care   Members   -  Reputation: 782

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:49 PM

Ding, we have a winner. Because what's good for the tablet is fantabulous for the desktop, amirite?

This is an affirming a disjunct fallacy.

#93 way2lazy2care   Members   -  Reputation: 782

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:16 AM

I was perusing the reddit machine and noticed MS engineers who worked on Windows 8 are doing an AMA at 12:30 EST. Might be worth a drop in for those of us who may wonder why things are a certain way.

edit: Correction, it's more surface pro than windows 8 in general stuff.

Edited by way2lazy2care, 06 February 2013 - 12:32 PM.

#94 amagdic1   Members   -  Reputation: 128

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:20 AM

I didn't use Winsows 8 on desktop :), still on XP :). I saw it on friends computer. Looks like it will be like Vista, junked very soon. I personally don't like change so i don't like Win 8 too.

But on phone/tablet it is useable. But thats another story.

Executive producer at http://simosgames.com

Currently working on Tablet & mobile strategy game Warlords RTS: Clash of Thrones. http://facebook.com/WarlordsRTS

#95 Plethora   Members   -  Reputation: 679

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:52 PM

My concern about Windows 8 has little to do with windows 8 itself, its almost all about the precedent MS is setting for the future.  I am very very wary of a future computing environment where small time developers cannot simply create software and release it, without having to contend with some gatekeeper or another.

Now, windows 8 does not break that paradigm yet, but I don't think its hard to imagine that MS sees this as a halfway point between the old paradigm and a new one whereby MS controls what is and is not installed on your system.

And, to answer the obvious criticism, I am wary of Windows 8, not completely against it.  It's possible that the aforementioned fear is unjustified, and only time will tell for sure, but I think its safe to say that W8 is a step in the wrong direction if that's my primary concern.

I'm working on a game!  It's called "Spellbook Tactics".  I'd love it if you checked it out, offered some feedback, etc.  I am very excited about my progress thus far and confident about future progress as well!

http://infinityelephant.wordpress.com

#96 tstrimple   Prime Members   -  Reputation: 1734

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:18 PM

My concern about Windows 8 has little to do with windows 8 itself, its almost all about the precedent MS is setting for the future.  I am very very wary of a future computing environment where small time developers cannot simply create software and release it, without having to contend with some gatekeeper or another.

Now, windows 8 does not break that paradigm yet, but I don't think its hard to imagine that MS sees this as a halfway point between the old paradigm and a new one whereby MS controls what is and is not installed on your system.

And, to answer the obvious criticism, I am wary of Windows 8, not completely against it.  It's possible that the aforementioned fear is unjustified, and only time will tell for sure, but I think its safe to say that W8 is a step in the wrong direction if that's my primary concern.

I don't think that will ever happen. Microsoft has a strong history of backwards compatibility and makes a lot of money from corporate customers who have to be able to run their own software. The idea that there would not be a version available which allowed normal x86 software to run is silly. People simply wouldn't upgrade.

#97 Alpha_ProgDes   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4692

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:32 PM

I was perusing the reddit machine and noticed MS engineers who worked on Windows 8 are doing an AMA at 12:30 EST. Might be worth a drop in for those of us who may wonder why things are a certain way.

What's an AMA? And is there a link?
Beginner in Game Development? Read here.

Super Mario Bros clone tutorial written in XNA 4.0 [MonoGame, ANX, and MonoXNA] by Scott Haley

If you have found any of the posts helpful, please show your appreciation by clicking the up arrow on those posts Posted Image

Spoiler

#98 way2lazy2care   Members   -  Reputation: 782

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:34 PM

"Ask me Anything" and here you go.

It's over now, but you can look at the other answers. Most of them, unfortunately, are related to the surface pro hardware. :/

#99 Servant of the Lord   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 21055

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:39 PM

AMA = "Ask me anything", and I guess this might be the right link. Ninja'd (by about 5 minutes dry.png)

"Why would I want to play Blu-Rays/DVDs on my PS3/360? It's a game console not a video player!"

Why would I should I be forced to pay extra money for a BluRay player in my PS3 ($125 vs a $15-$20 DVD drive), when BluRays weren't a common disc format (at the time of the PS3's release), just so Sony can win an unrelated format war that doesn't benefit me playing games? (the $125 estimated Bluray cost is from when the console was released - it's cheaper now)

The BluRay addition to the PS3 was not free. It increased the price of an already expensive console.
This is entirely different than the Windows 8 complaints though, however - unless someone is already arguing that the work towards adding the Metro UI could've benefited the desktop UI instead.

Edited by Servant of the Lord, 07 February 2013 - 09:58 PM.

It's perfectly fine to abbreviate my username to 'Servant' rather than copy+pasting it all the time.
All glory be to the Man at the right hand... On David's throne the King will reign, and the Government will rest upon His shoulders. All the earth will see the salvation of God.
Of Stranger Flames - [indie turn-based rpg set in a para-historical French colony] | Indie RPG development journal

[Fly with me on Twitter] [Google+] [My broken website]

[Need web hosting? I personally like A Small Orange]

#100 scottrick49   Members   -  Reputation: 366

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:25 AM

I've been using win8 since it was released, and while I wasn't sure about it when I started, I am happy with it for the most part.  I'm coming from Vista though so the improvements in stability, speed, etc, all seem great.  I'm getting used to the new right side menu and not having START and it works pretty well, I think.  Main thing I don't like about MetroApps is that you can't use OpenGL with them.  :(

scottrick49

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS