• Create Account

Game name is the same as a company name

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
9 replies to this topic

#1 3DModelerMan   Members   -  Reputation: 814

0Likes

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:53 PM

I've been developing a game called Epic Hamster for a while now and just found out today that there's a company called Epic Hamster also: http://www.epichamster.com/apps/IdentiKid/ what should I do? I already bought epic-hamster.com before I knew that they existed. Am I pretty much screwed and need to figure out a new name?

Sponsor:

#2 Tom Sloper   Moderators   -  Reputation: 7448

1Likes

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:10 PM

It depends. What kind of company is this other Epic Hamster? (Do they compost dead hamsters? Do they manufacture space satellites? Do they make games, pet supplies, toiletries...?)

(Note: don't kick me for not following the link -- you should have included this info in your post, since it is essential to getting the answer you are seeking)
-- Tom Sloper
Sloperama Productions
Making games fun and getting them done.
www.sloperama.com

Please do not PM me. My email address is easy to find, but note that I do not give private advice.

#3 3DModelerMan   Members   -  Reputation: 814

0Likes

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:15 PM

Sorry. They're also a game developer.

#4 Tom Sloper   Moderators   -  Reputation: 7448

2Likes

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:33 PM

Then you cannot use that name, if you are going to sell it in any country where that company sells games.

Edited by Tom Sloper, 14 December 2012 - 11:35 PM.
correction

-- Tom Sloper
Sloperama Productions
www.sloperama.com

Please do not PM me. My email address is easy to find, but note that I do not give private advice.

#5 Broadleaf   Members   -  Reputation: 147

0Likes

Posted 15 December 2012 - 03:19 AM

Then you cannot use that name, if you are going to sell it in any country where that company sells games.

Thank you for info.

#6 3DModelerMan   Members   -  Reputation: 814

0Likes

Posted 15 December 2012 - 08:11 AM

Okay. I renamed it but now I need to figure out what to do with my domain name. Would it be possible to try and sell my domain name to them?

#7 Tom Sloper   Moderators   -  Reputation: 7448

0Likes

Posted 15 December 2012 - 08:53 AM

Anything is possible.
You can try anything you want to try.
By the way, I am not a lawyer, and my advice is for informational purposes; I'm not giving you legal advice, and you should talk to a lawyer.
-- Tom Sloper
Sloperama Productions
www.sloperama.com

#8 3DModelerMan   Members   -  Reputation: 814

0Likes

Posted 15 December 2012 - 09:51 AM

Yeah I'm aware of that. Thanks for the help though.

#9 Unduli   Members   -  Reputation: 639

0Likes

Posted 20 December 2012 - 03:25 PM

Actually, just asking out of curiosity but there may be a game company with same name but what if no trademark is involved?

#10 Tom Sloper   Moderators   -  Reputation: 7448

0Likes

Posted 21 December 2012 - 12:44 AM

Actually, just asking out of curiosity but there may be a game company with same name but what if no trademark is involved?

How would that change anything?  Wouldn't that company still be upset by the possible confusion that would result?  You'd still get sued.

Edited by Tom Sloper, 21 December 2012 - 12:46 AM.

-- Tom Sloper
Sloperama Productions
www.sloperama.com

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS