• Create Account

Projection from point to line

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
3 replies to this topic

#1 vicer1234   Members   -  Reputation: 115

0Likes

Posted 15 December 2012 - 01:05 PM

Hi,
I want to find projection from a point 'P' on a line 'L'

if line is given as:

struct Line
{
vec3 pos;
vec3 direction;
}

and the point is vec3(a,b,c)

I am trying to form a function like:

vec3 ProjectionToLine( Line, Point);

Sponsor:

#2 Álvaro   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 12509

2Likes

Posted 15 December 2012 - 01:20 PM

Assuming Line.direction has length 1, the answer is Line.pos + Line.direction * dot_product(direction, Point - Line.pos).

#3 vicer1234   Members   -  Reputation: 115

0Likes

Posted 15 December 2012 - 01:40 PM

Assuming Line.direction has length 1, the answer is Line.pos + Line.direction * dot_product(direction, Point - Line.pos).

thank you for replying

Is it Line.pos + Line.direction * dot_product(Line.direction, Point - Line.pos)

I know what is dot product, cross product, knowledge of trigonometry etc but I find it confusing to
apply in problems ( in way of programming ie construction functions to calculate) like:

1) Given a point and a line to find out whether it is on the left or the right side of the line
2) Find angle between a line and a plane
... etc

Is there any tutorials or any weblinks where I can find these sort of problem for practise/learn.

Any guidance or suggestion is welcome

#4 Álvaro   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 12509

0Likes

Posted 15 December 2012 - 02:04 PM

thank you for replying

Is it Line.pos + Line.direction * dot_product(Line.direction, Point - Line.pos)

Yes, that's what I mean. Sorry about the typo.

I know what is dot product, cross product, knowledge of trigonometry etc but I find it confusing to
apply in problems ( in way of programming ie construction functions to calculate) like:

1) Given a point and a line to find out whether it is on the left or the right side of the line

There are several ways to think about it. Imagine the plane is the x-y plane inside a 3D space and compute the z component of cross_product(Line.direction, Point - Line.pos).

2) Find angle between a line and a plane

An angle is defined between two vectors, and then it's acos(dot_product(v,w)). To compute the angle between a line and a plane, project the line onto the plane and compute the angle between the original line and the projected line.

... etc

Is there any tutorials or any weblinks where I can find these sort of problem for practise/learn.

Any guidance or suggestion is welcome

I learned Linear Algebra in college. This is something that takes effort to push into your brain, but it's extremely useful, so you should definitely put the effort in. Perhaps Khan Academy has good material on this?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS