• Create Account

We're offering banner ads on our site from just $5!

1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

Anonymous is now targeting the Westboro Baptist Church

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
46 replies to this topic

#1 Cornstalks   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 6991

Posted 16 December 2012 - 04:24 PM

Anonymous has had its little tufts with the WBC, but this time the WBC has awakened the dragon when it said it planned to protest the school in Newtown, Connecticut where the senseless massacre took place on Friday. And apparently, Anonymous is winning, already getting credit card info, social security numbers, contact info, etc.

I'm all for freedom of speech, but I have to say that I'm 100% behind Anonymous on this one. What do you think?
[ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]

Sponsor:

#2 ChaosEngine   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2454

Posted 16 December 2012 - 06:19 PM

As a gut reaction. go Anonymous and f@#k the WBC. Couldn't happen to a more deserving group.

And you know what, I don't even think freedom of speech applies. It's hate speech pure and simple, and if they want to slander people like this, they have to be prepared for the consequences. They purport that everyone of their bullshit claims are true. Fine, in that case, prove it. In a court. Personally, I hope someone snaps and beats the crap outta them.
if you think programming is like sex, you probably haven't done much of either.-------------- - capn_midnight

#3 MarkS   Prime Members   -  Reputation: 882

Posted 16 December 2012 - 06:44 PM

As a gut reaction. go Anonymous and f@#k the WBC. Couldn't happen to a more deserving group.

And you know what, I don't even think freedom of speech applies. It's hate speech pure and simple, and if they want to slander people like this, they have to be prepared for the consequences. They purport that everyone of their bullshit claims are true. Fine, in that case, prove it. In a court. Personally, I hope someone snaps and beats the crap outta them.

QFT! I hate Anonymous and all that they stand for, however, the enemy of my enemy is my friend in this case.

#4 0BZEN   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2025

Posted 16 December 2012 - 07:06 PM

OOOOOooohhh.... It's ON!!!

Should be fun.

Everything is better with Metal.

#5 Shippou   Members   -  Reputation: 1710

Posted 16 December 2012 - 07:46 PM

Oh boy .... Why hasn't that nut-case "church" been sued out of existence yet ???

Reactions To Technologies:
1. Anything that is in the world when you’re born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.
2. Anything that's invented between when you’re fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.
3. Anything invented after you're thirty-five is against the natural order of things.

- Douglas Adams 2002

#6 Cornstalks   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 6991

Posted 16 December 2012 - 07:55 PM

Oh boy .... Why hasn't that nut-case "church" been sued out of existence yet ???

I don't know, but there's this... I don't believe the petitions on whitehouse.gov accomplish much (realistically speaking), but it'll be interesting nonetheless.
[ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]

#7 kuramayoko10   Members   -  Reputation: 386

Posted 16 December 2012 - 07:59 PM

A tweet from the account @DearShirely, which has been attributed to Phelps-Roper said that, “Westboro will picket Sandy Hook Elementary School to sing praise to God for the glory of his work in executing his judgment.”

One thing is create a church and go by alienating people, asking for donations and whatever. But intruding other people's lives and rituals is totally unacceptable.

Not only Anonymous but the affected people should go after this and shut this nonsense down.
This world is really coming to an end...

Edited by kuramayoko10, 16 December 2012 - 08:18 PM.

Programming is an art. Game programming is a masterpiece!

#8 MarkS   Prime Members   -  Reputation: 882

Posted 16 December 2012 - 08:09 PM

I don't know, but there's this... I don't believe the petitions on whitehouse.gov accomplish much (realistically speaking), but it'll be interesting nonetheless.

I'm signing that as soon as I can create the account!

And they were sued by the father of a fallen soldier who's funeral they picketed. He won, but then the judgement was overturned on appeal and he had to pay the church's legal fees. I am a Christian and not ashamed of it. They are a hate group masquerading as a Christian church. They need to be shut down. Their hatred is nowhere to be found in the Bible I read.

I am so angry at the events of the past few days and then THIS? I want to take a baseball bat to the protest and turn very un-Christian on them...

#9 Cornstalks   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 6991

Posted 16 December 2012 - 09:03 PM

Some select tweets:

*spits coffee everywhere* she is still logged into paypal. Anyone need some xmas shopping doing? @YourAnonNews you can has another cat

@YourAnonNews @KYAnonymous Let's order some gay hookers/strippers and send them to houses of #WBC members. Use their CC's. lulz

ordered 7 male strippers who have to hold a sing saying. 'im gay to ben'. Have been ordered

RIP… lol RT @LulzExecutive: @YourAnonNews just succesfully filed a death certificate for sherley. Her ssn is now blocked

This is a call to all of you to anons and citizens go to #Newtown ct and block #WestboroBaptistChurch picketing kids funeral #occupynewtown

Called every comic book and costume stores in the Newtown / Danbury, CT area and they are all out of stock of Guy Fawkes masks. This is good

@YourAnonNews botnet AND keylogger infection on http://godhatesfags.com please rt. Only the guilty wont see this

In terms of entertainment, all I need is some popcorn. This is better than any movie I've seen lately.

#10 MarkS   Prime Members   -  Reputation: 882

Posted 16 December 2012 - 09:16 PM

Posted Image

#11 L. Spiro   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 14027

Posted 16 December 2012 - 09:45 PM

I dislike Anonymous but I dislike Westboro Baptist Church more. I am ashamed to be from Kansas because of them. And all the wheat but mostly because of them. If Anonymous does things like this more often then perhaps I could start to like them.

Now that everyone knows where they live, I wonder how long it will be before attacks on them become physical.

L. Spiro

Edited by L. Spiro, 16 December 2012 - 11:27 PM.

It is amazing how often people try to be unique, and yet they are always trying to make others be like them. - L. Spiro 2011
I spent most of my life learning the courage it takes to go out and get what I want. Now that I have it, I am not sure exactly what it is that I want. - L. Spiro 2013
I went to my local Subway once to find some guy yelling at the staff. When someone finally came to take my order and asked, “May I help you?”, I replied, “Yeah, I’ll have one asshole to go.”
L. Spiro Engine: http://lspiroengine.com
L. Spiro Engine Forums: http://lspiroengine.com/forums

#12 achild   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1927

Posted 16 December 2012 - 10:21 PM

:(
What's wrong with wheat?

#13 MarkS   Prime Members   -  Reputation: 882

Posted 16 December 2012 - 10:37 PM

Posted Image
What's wrong with wheat?

Have you ever driven through Kansas prior to the wheat harvest? Endless fields of wheat. Mindnumbingly endless oceans of golden grain. Dotted with a town every now and then.

#14 JTippetts   Moderators   -  Reputation: 8584

Posted 16 December 2012 - 10:48 PM

Now that everyone knows where they live, I wonder how long it will be before attacks on them become physical.

And this part is what I am uncomfortable about.

WBC are contemptible a-holes, some of the worst, most wretched people I have ever heard about, but I just don't think that answering their scummy behavior with illegal attacks, identity theft/credit card fraud and physical violence is any kind of good idea at all. We should be trying to become a better people, not worse. Stooping to their level, matching villainy for villainy, has never resulted in a better place for anyone.

Still, though, I intensely dislike those WBC people, and it really is difficult to not wish them harm.

I hear ya about the wheat, though.

#15 MarkS   Prime Members   -  Reputation: 882

Posted 16 December 2012 - 11:08 PM

I agree and it is why I do not normally support Anonymous. I want WBC to be taken down, but through legal means. Unfortunately, there are not too many legal avenues at the moment.

Hopefully that petition will be taken seriously by the White House and their tax exempt status will be rescinded along with them being listed as a hate group. That alone should bankrupt them. If Anonymous can get people to Connecticut to physically block their protest, all the better.

#16 JTippetts   Moderators   -  Reputation: 8584

Posted 16 December 2012 - 11:22 PM

I agree and it is why I do not normally support Anonymous. I want WBC to be taken down, but through legal means. Unfortunately, there are not too many legal avenues at the moment.

Hopefully that petition will be taken seriously by the White House and their tax exempt status will be rescinded along with them being listed as a hate group. That alone should bankrupt them. If Anonymous can get people to Connecticut to physically block their protest, all the better.

For the record, I am also uncomfortable about listing groups as "hate groups". This feels too much like thoughtcrime to me, and I don't know that we should be looking to 1984 as our guidebook to more effective government. Free speech is free speech, and if we aren't willing to defend free speech, regardless of our personal beliefs regarding the speaker, then we all will eventually lose our right to free speech. Laws that can be used to label and criminalize one group can easily be turned to label another, based upon the whims and prejudices of the ones in control of those laws.

Revoking their tax exempt status, though, I am 100% in favor of.

#17 Hodgman   Moderators   -  Reputation: 31130

Posted 16 December 2012 - 11:30 PM

I find it interesting that people can like/dislike "anonymous", as a group, because they're just a name, like "Al Qaeda", for an idea, not a real organisation. They don't really exist, which is the point.

When I was growing up, I had a few friends that were what you'd now call "script kiddies" (or what the media would call "hackers")... Some people from this era used this hobby within their own ethical frameworks, like attacking NASA when they were planning a mission that could've potentially dirty-bombed the whole world... however, my friends just "hacked into" random corporate networks, and got random office workers into trouble by deleting their spreadsheets and launching instances of Doom on their workstations...

"Anonymous" as an idea, is a magnet for these trouble-makers, and shows them that instead of getting up to random mischief they can belong to some kind of "movement", and direct their mischief towards some perceived enemy of mankind. In that sense, it's quite a powerful idea that's creating political and social awareness within intelligent but troubled youths -- not creating or reducing trouble, but focussing it.

Edited by Hodgman, 16 December 2012 - 11:46 PM.

#18 Cornstalks   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 6991

Posted 17 December 2012 - 12:49 AM

For the record, I am also uncomfortable about listing groups as "hate groups". This feels too much like thoughtcrime to me, and I don't know that we should be looking to 1984 as our guidebook to more effective government. Free speech is free speech

There's a difference between hating gays and voicing this opinion, and picketing the funerals of massacred children. I don't necessarily think they should be labeled a hate group for the thought of hate, but for the sick, disturbed manifestation of that thought (that is, this isn't what I'd call a thoughtcrime).

#19 Arale   Members   -  Reputation: 206

Posted 17 December 2012 - 05:41 AM

I don't think this is really a new thing, ANON has been on the WBC's back for a while now, if I recall correctly.

#20 L. Spiro   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 14027

Posted 17 December 2012 - 06:05 AM

I am waiting for Westboro Baptist Church’s reaction. Do they even know they are under siege? They aren’t likely to be the most Internet savvy group of people.
Are they just going to find out one day their credit cards are empty, their social security numbers are blocked, etc., and look around dumbfounded?

L. Spiro
It is amazing how often people try to be unique, and yet they are always trying to make others be like them. - L. Spiro 2011
I spent most of my life learning the courage it takes to go out and get what I want. Now that I have it, I am not sure exactly what it is that I want. - L. Spiro 2013
I went to my local Subway once to find some guy yelling at the staff. When someone finally came to take my order and asked, “May I help you?”, I replied, “Yeah, I’ll have one asshole to go.”
L. Spiro Engine: http://lspiroengine.com
L. Spiro Engine Forums: http://lspiroengine.com/forums

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS